Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Partitons

  • David P. Greenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13, 2000
      Hi. I'm going to assume you're using RH or Mandrake, and that you only have
      1 hard drive. When you get your computer back it will have one of the
      flavors of Win32. If possible go get your self a copy of Power Quest's
      Partition Magic. It's a pay for play progie, but one of the most useful and
      intelligent softwares I've ever seen. Linux can be installed with out it,
      but it does make things much easier. We'll look at installing with out it
      for now.

      Insert your boot floppy and restart the computer. After it loads you will be
      prompted for the CDrom. Insert it and wait some more. Eventually it will ask
      you a few questions like what language you want to use, and where the
      install image files are located. It's pretty straight forward. Step through
      those questions with the arrow and enter keys. Make sure you manually turn
      on the num lock or it won't recognise your number keypad. You'll eventually
      come to a screen where it will ask which partition tool you want to use.
      F-disk or Disk Druid. Disk Druid is a little easier, and more graphic, but I
      prefer F-disk. anyway, here you can set up your partitions. You'll need one
      for root (/) and at least 1 for swap. Swap can only be 128M or less, but you
      can create multiple swaps. All partitions must be primary or you'll get
      formatting errors. Remember you can only have 4 primary partitions on a
      drive and your Windows partition will be at least 1. Both the Partitioning
      tools are a little clumsy and will take some getting used to, but remember
      that nothing is carved in stone 'till you save it, so take your time. you
      will need to name your root partion with the "/".

      Next it will ask you which partitions you wish to format as swap. This
      appears to default to what you set up in Disk Druid, but make sure before
      you select yes. Each screen allows you to go back and check your work so
      don't panic.

      The next screen asks you the same thing for your root partition. Then you're
      asked which packages you want to install. Best bet is just to go with the
      default. After that it'll run the install. Finally it will walk you through
      setting up your mouse, and vid card. Eventually it will prompt you to reboot
      and you should be all set.

      Once you get a GUI up and running, as root, look for a file called
      /etc/fstab. That file will tell you the existing Linux /devs (drives). Find
      the floppy (/dev/fda most likely). Using the text editor of your choice add
      a line for your Windows drive copying exactly the floppy line. Only
      differences will be 1.) the name of the device will be /dev/hda1 and the
      file type will be Vfat. Once you've entered that line and saved it to the
      file, you will cd to the directory called /mnt and create a folder called
      /dev/hda1. You will be able to view the windows drive by using the console
      and typing mount /dev/hda1. You can read from and write to the drive but you
      wont be able to run the programs, and many of the files will be unreadable,
      depending on what software in Win generated them. Keep in mind that in the
      write mode you can damage your windows files by writing over them so be
      careful. Also Linux often does not give you all the "safetys" that Windows
      does. You will need to edit the permissions so you can access the drive in
      your unpriviliaged user mode. Wine, Dosemu and VM ware will all allow you to
      run dos/win programs in linux, but you still have to mount them in this
      fashion first.

      Good luck and welcome to the Linux adventure.

      Sorry about the Sermon on the mount, folks, and of course any corrections
      are welcomed.
      David P. Greenberg
      Bitco Electronics
      "In Service to the Recording Industry"
      **Rock on with glowing glass**
    • Kuj0
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
        If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
        tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
        partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
        IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
        and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
        http://www.winehq.com or its .org

        Bill

        At 08:18 PM 4/13/00 -0700, you wrote:
        >> Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX
        >
        >Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
        >to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
        >next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
        >could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
        >the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
        >maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
        > so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
        >Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)
        >
        >Any help is appreciated,
        >JG

        >Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites.
        >http://invites.yahoo.com

        >1.6 Million Digital Images!
        >Download one Today from Corbis.com

      • Storm
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
          </lurk>
          Uhm,... I Think that we're all missing the obvious.... Assuming that you're
          using a gui of some sort, and wine requires this if I remember correctly) I
          installed Mandrake Air (7.0) and it actually "automatically" mounts the
          drives that I have in the machine. It left icons on the desktop (for KDE)
          for each HD partition. HDA5, HDA 7, etc. As soon as I click on one of them,
          it mounts the drive. This would be the easiest route for accessing the
          files. At the console, the mount command with root permissions is your way
          to go. :)

          Have they made big changes from Mandrake 7 to 7.02 that would stop me from
          having a dual boot(or triple boot)? Because currently, I have Mandrake 7.0,
          Windows NT, and Win98 on my machine at home. And Mandrake 7.0 and Win98SE
          on my laptop. Or perhaps I made it work, because I didn't know you weren't
          supposed to be able to. :)

          JG - If they haven't done any work on your machine yet, try to get it back
          and fix it yourself. Even if the computer is on warranty, often a machine
          "messed up" by software that a user installed is something that they will
          charge you to fix. And they will make a mess if they install windows over
          top of what you've got on there already (Winblows may work, but a bunch of
          your windows proggies likely won't, due to dlls that were overwritten by
          older ones) and if they format,... well,.. that's a worse pain, especially
          if you're not totally backed up, and the "Tech shops" like to do that, then
          tell you when you pick up the machine. And I'd be willing to bet that you'd
          be able to fix it in less than 2 weeks. You can even recover from a
          "corrupt partition table", if that's why it went in in the first place.
          (usually an fdisk will help that,...And I have debug scripts that can take
          care of wiping a HD if FDisk gives you a problem) All the friendly people
          here will help I'm sure. (My Linux experience is so limited, I make a
          newbie look like a guru,... but I will help too if I can. )

          IMHO, The best way to manage linux and windows is with boot magic (part of
          the Partition Magic program, suite, whatever :) ) I use that for the triple
          and dual boots that I mentioned above, and have yet to have it crater on me.
          *touches wood* LILO was a bit of a pain, it's great when it works smoothly,
          but occasionally, it has a temper tantrum, especially if you resize a
          partition, I got the "LI" that you were talking about then.

          Good Luck
          Storm
          Programmer Analyst

          <lurk>

          >If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
          >tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
          >partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
          >IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
          >and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
          >http://www.winehq.com or its .org
          >
          >Bill
          >
          >At 08:18 PM 4/13/00 -0700, you wrote:
          >>> Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX
          >>
          >>Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
          >>to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
          >>next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
          >>could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
          >>the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
          >>maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
          >> so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
          >>Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)
          >>
          >>Any help is appreciated,
          >>JG
        • Kuj0
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 14, 2000
            I don't know, I just know what happened with me. 6.5 ran fine on the
            machine, a fujitsu laptop, I just encountered to many problems.

          • Rooster
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
              >If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
              >tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
              >partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
              >IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
              >and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
              >http://www.winehq.com or its .org
              There is nothing to stop people multibooting. Your problem appears to be
              that you removed lilo but didn't remove the linux partitions. You then of
              course blamed linux because Windoze fdisk has the inability to recognise &
              delete linux partitions.

              You probably tried to delete what windoze said was an empty extended
              partition but then got a message about it containing logical drives or
              something. This is a problem with windoze fdisk, not linux. To remove linux
              partitions, either use linux fdisk (or one from an equally competent OS),
              Partition Magic or a free utility like Ranish Partition Manager from
              http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ (I use this to assist in
              createing/deleteing partitions, use the os's own fdisk program where
              possible & LiLi to boot the system).

              BTW - you do NOT need wine to access a windoze partition. You use wine to
              run a limited number of dos/windoze (mainly 3.1) apps from within linux, not
              for accessing the partition.

              Rooster
            • Rooster
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
                >Uhm,... I Think that we're all missing the obvious.... Assuming that you're
                >using a gui of some sort, and wine requires this if I remember correctly) I
                >installed Mandrake Air (7.0) and it actually "automatically" mounts the
                >drives that I have in the machine. It left icons on the desktop (for KDE)
                >for each HD partition. HDA5, HDA 7, etc. As soon as I click on one of
                them,
                >it mounts the drive. This would be the easiest route for accessing the
                >files. At the console, the mount command with root permissions is your way
                >to go. :)

                Almost all current distro's will automatically setup the mount for other
                os's on the system, or give you the chance to set it up manually during the
                install. If not, the /etc/fstab file needs to be edited manually.

                >Have they made big changes from Mandrake 7 to 7.02 that would stop me from
                >having a dual boot(or triple boot)? Because currently, I have Mandrake 7.0,
                >Windows NT, and Win98 on my machine at home. And Mandrake 7.0 and Win98SE
                >on my laptop. Or perhaps I made it work, because I didn't know you weren't
                >supposed to be able to. :)

                No changes. If you have set up multiboots before, you do it exactly the
                same. There has never been a problem with it, just when it fails, a lot of
                people say it can't be done &/or blame linux when it is usually a user
                problem (ie: didn't read the doc's or ask first!)

                >IMHO, The best way to manage linux and windows is with boot magic (part of
                >the Partition Magic program, suite, whatever :) ) I use that for the triple
                >and dual boots that I mentioned above, and have yet to have it crater on
                me.
                >*touches wood* LILO was a bit of a pain, it's great when it works smoothly,
                >but occasionally, it has a temper tantrum, especially if you resize a
                >partition, I got the "LI" that you were talking about then.

                I actually prefer lilo. When used properly, I find it much more powerful &
                versatile than most other boot managers. It's ability to hide/unhide
                partitions, password protect & restrict access to partitions is great. And
                it's free.
                Resizing a linux partition is not an easy task, no matter what you use. Even
                if you had managed to get succesfully past LiLo, linux would have crashed
                anyway, because it wasn't resized in the correct manner.

                Rooster
              • Rooster
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 15, 2000
                  > > Using WINE, you can access the windows partition from LINUX

                  That's not what WINE is for. Wine runs dos/windows apps. It does not provide
                  access to a windows partition. To get access you need to mount the partition
                  first, using either the mount command (see man mount) or editing the
                  /etc/fstab file.

                  > Where could I get that utility? (I am a beginner... sorry if it happens
                  > to be one of the files inside Linux, in fact I do not have my PC for the
                  > next two weeks since I screwed it up when I installed Linux and Windows
                  > could not run anymore... I guess there was a problem then with LILO since
                  > the letters "LI" were appears, well, I got to that conclusion until now,
                  > maybe I should have reinstalled Linux and then try to reinstall Windows...
                  > so, I will try to install Linux again [once I get my PC back] :)
                  > Though, I would like to know about the mentioned utility)

                  In this situation, you had a couple of options, depending upon how prepared
                  you were.

                  1. Boot from a windows boot disk & run fdisk /mbr to remove lilo from the
                  MBR of the drive. This would then let the system boot straight back into
                  windows. You could then either boot from a linux floppy & try to sought out
                  what went wrong or re-install linux.

                  2. Just boot from a linux boot floppy & then try to recover from the lilo
                  error, possibly could be solved by just running /sbin/lilo to reinstall it.

                  Rooster
                • Kuj0
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16, 2000
                    No, after I tried fdisking (it does work, its just a pain in the butt to
                    get it to work.) and trying windows, and that not working, I tried
                    reloading Mandrake 7.0 then tried Mandrake 6.5 then tried RedHat 6. then
                    Redhat 5.2. None of them would boot up.

                    At 11:11 AM 4/16/00 +1000, you wrote:
                    >>If your using Mandrake 7.0.2 you may not be able to use windows. I know, I
                    >>tried reinstalling windows after removing mandrake, and it messed my
                    >>partition table up so bad, I had to run a magnet over my HDD and reinstall
                    >>IDE Tools. (Do not run a magnet over your HDD, unless you have IDE Tools
                    >>and know what you are doing.) I believe the wine web site is
                    >>http://www.winehq.com or its .org
                    >There is nothing to stop people multibooting. Your problem appears to be
                    >that you removed lilo but didn't remove the linux partitions. You then of
                    >course blamed linux because Windoze fdisk has the inability to recognise &
                    >delete linux partitions.
                    >
                    >You probably tried to delete what windoze said was an empty extended
                    >partition but then got a message about it containing logical drives or
                    >something. This is a problem with windoze fdisk, not linux. To remove linux
                    >partitions, either use linux fdisk (or one from an equally competent OS),
                    >Partition Magic or a free utility like Ranish Partition Manager from
                    >http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ (I use this to assist in
                    >createing/deleteing partitions, use the os's own fdisk program where
                    >possible & LiLi to boot the system).
                    >
                    >BTW - you do NOT need wine to access a windoze partition. You use wine to
                    >run a limited number of dos/windoze (mainly 3.1) apps from within linux, not
                    >for accessing the partition.
                    >
                    >Rooster

                    >You can win $1000!
                    >Time-limited offer. Enter today at:

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 16, 2000
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@egroups.com, Kuj0 <kuj0@f...> wrote:
                      > No, after I tried fdisking (it does work, its just a pain in the
                      butt to
                      > get it to work.) and trying windows, and that not working, I tried
                      > reloading Mandrake 7.0 then tried Mandrake 6.5 then tried RedHat 6.
                      then
                      > Redhat 5.2. None of them would boot up.

                      Teach me to make assumptions :-)

                      Rooster
                    • Kuj0
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 17, 2000
                        Not a prob, I shoulda explained all that up front.

                        Bill