Telnet

  • grathabba@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi, does anyone know a good site or book for beginners to learn how to use telnet? or if anyone could just send me an email with info about using telnet, anything is great.
      thanks
      Bob
    • Pete Brayman
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
        What are you looking to learn? It's pretty straight forward, telnet just gives you access to a shell prompt for the most part.

        Pete

        On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:01:14PM -0000, grathabba@... wrote:
        > Hi, does anyone know a good site or book for beginners to learn how to use telnet? or if anyone could just send me an email with info about using telnet, anything is great.
        > thanks
        > Bob

        Peter Brayman ICQ # 66709621

        So that others may live... NY Emergency Services - 9/11/2001
        Donate to the Disaster Relief Fund at http://daily.iaff.org/091301info.htm
      • Dennis B. Hopp
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
          There really isn't much to Telnet. At a command line type:

          telnet <ip_address> <port>

          The ip_address can be a name such as something.mydomain.com and telnet will
          find that site. You can leave the port off, it is not needed, but once you
          learn how to use telnet you can use it to connect different telnet services
          on a machine.

          Once you get connected you will be prompted for a username and passsword
          (usually). After you logon you are given a shell that can execute commands
          just like if you were using your shell on your local machine.

          Hope this helps.

          --Dennis

          Hi, does anyone know a good site or book for beginners to learn how to use
          telnet? or if anyone could just send me an email with info about using
          telnet, anything is great.
          thanks
          Bob

          To unsubscribe from this list, please email
          LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

        • grathabba@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
            Well, some of my friends at school play these hacker wargames with telnet. they sound like a lot of fun and a good way to learn more about computers, but i haven't been abl to figure out how to use telnet.
            Bob

          • cej4108@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
              Try entering man telnet at the command prompt of Linux and it should give you the syntax, use, etc...a little bit cryptic but workable....you can also find books on telnet at amazon.com....

              --
              Charles E. James...
              http://home.earthlink.net/~bamboogrove/

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2003
                How do you copy files over telnet to local computer?

                thanks for help in advance

              • Robin Roe
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2003
                  Dr. Dinesh Mhatre wrote:

                  >How do you copy files over telnet to local computer?

                  I don't believe you can, at least not easily. Telnet is not designed
                  as a file transferral protocol, so any means you could use to
                  transfer files over telnet would be cumbersome to say the least. One
                  such example is the xmodem/zmodem transfer protocol used in the
                  olden days of BBSing, which might work over telnet. But then again..

                  Why not FTP, or SCP, or even HTTP? Or you could even mount the
                  filesystems by NFS or Samba...

                  ==ROBIN==
                • Zachary Ware
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2003
                    Speaking of FTP, I am having some trouble with wu-ftp. I can access it locally from other computers on the lan, but not from the internet. Could anyone give me an example of the wu-ftp file in the xinet.d directory for RedHat 8.0?
                    >How do you copy files over telnet to local computer?

                    I don't believe you can, at least not easily. Telnet is not designed
                    as a file transferral protocol, so any means you could use to
                    transfer files over telnet would be cumbersome to say the least. One
                    such example is the xmodem/zmodem transfer protocol used in the
                    olden days of BBSing, which might work over telnet. But then again..

                    Why not FTP, or SCP, or even HTTP? Or you could even mount the
                    filesystems by NFS or Samba...

                    ==ROBIN==

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor