DVD

  • grathabba@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      Is there a way to watch dvds on linux?
      thanks,
      Bob
    • mworkman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2002
        I am interested in playing DVD movies on Redhat 8.0.
        I have went to LiViD's web site and looked over the info there, I'm but still
        confused. I used to use PowerDVD and it worked well, but I'm only using Linux
        now. The Redhat site mentions no DVD players on their supported hardware
        list. I have a Creative 6x ide DVD player. I didn't need a hardware decoder
        under windows, but have a Hollywood card? if that matters.
        Can I watch movies on my pc?
        I don't think the Creative drive is noticed by the OS, although it does show
        up in the bios during bootup.
        Any info about how to get movies would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks for any help.
        mw
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2002
          mworkman wrote:
          > I am interested in playing DVD movies on Redhat 8.0.
          > I have went to LiViD's web site and looked over the info there, I'm but still
          > confused. I used to use PowerDVD and it worked well, but I'm only using Linux
          > now. The Redhat site mentions no DVD players on their supported hardware
          > list. I have a Creative 6x ide DVD player. I didn't need a hardware decoder
          > under windows, but have a Hollywood card? if that matters.

          I don't think the Hollywood card has Linux drivers. At least not that
          I've found. I'm waiting for the SB Audigy drivers to get surround sound
          working before I switch over. I have my computer plugged into my home
          theater.

          > Can I watch movies on my pc?
          > I don't think the Creative drive is noticed by the OS, although it does show
          > up in the bios during bootup.

          I'm pretty sure your DVD drive will be supported by the kernel. It's
          just another ATAPI or SCSI optical drive, so it should work. The movie
          playing software is the crux of the issue, I think.

          Chad