1024 cylinders

  • Andy Micklethwaite
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
      I'm trying to set up a dual boot for Win98 and SuSE Linux. I originally set up the following partitions in order to get both boot partitions into the first 1k cylinders: Win98 progs; Linux boot; Linux swap; Linux the rest; Win data.
      When Win98 wrote data it trashed the Linux partitions.
      Q1: Any ideas why this happens?
      Q2: I've repartitioned to put both Win98 bits before the Linux - so far so good - but is this really any safer?
      Q3: Assuming it's best to put Linux on a separate hard disk, can I get win98 to use it all as DOS fdisk only seems to understand the first 1k cylinders!

      TIA, Andy.
    • huntsouth@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
        Andy--

        Unless there is a specific reason to create a particular partition,
        leave the partitioning to the install programs. And if you are using
        the later versions of SuSE, the 1024 cyl limit has been taken care of.

        First, remove all the partitions from the drive. Then use a Win98
        boot (NOT startup) disk to create the partition for Windows. Say you
        have a 20GB HDD. For example, the idea is to use 8GB for Windows, 8GB
        for linux and leave 4GB to experiment with additional partitions under
        linux. Boot with the Win98 boot disk and create an 8GB partition and
        then load Windows. Just leave the remainder of the disk alone. Once
        Windows is installed, boot from the CD (or however your version of
        SuSE boots) and install Linux. I always install LILO and create the
        emergency boot floppy. Now, when you reboot, LILO or GRUB or whatever
        you used will give you a boot menu for the OS of your choice.

        When Windows loads, it overwrites the boot sector and any FAT,
        replacing it with it's own. There are ways around this, I believe,
        but I have always just loaded Windows first, since I use Linux in
        addition to Windows rather than instead of. That may change sooner
        than I think.

        HTH Tom

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Andy Micklethwaite <andy@i...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to set up a dual boot for Win98 and SuSE Linux. I
        originally set up the following partitions in order to get both boot
        partitions into the first 1k cylinders: Win98 progs; Linux boot; Linux
        swap; Linux the rest; Win data.
        > When Win98 wrote data it trashed the Linux partitions.
        > Q1: Any ideas why this happens?
        > Q2: I've repartitioned to put both Win98 bits before the Linux - so
        far so good - but is this really any safer?
        > Q3: Assuming it's best to put Linux on a separate hard disk, can I
        get win98 to use it all as DOS fdisk only seems to understand the
        first 1k cylinders!

        > TIA, Andy.
      • Blu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
          Help!

          I've unsubscribed from the group several times, under the correct name, and

          I keep getting messages. I did it by reply, and I know the messages went
          through. I'd like to stay, but I can't find the time. Any ideas why it
          won't let me unsubscribe?

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
            have you tried un subscribing through yahoo web interface?