Re: Hardware upgrade questions

  • chad@tharasix.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Himanshu Sharma <hs_ramdev@y...> wrote:
      > Hi ,
      >
      > For a linux system most of the time you get the
      > source-code and you need to compile that code
      > which generates a hardware depenedent binary...
      >
      > When we install a new kind of processor...(from
      > athlon to pentium)then the architecture of the
      > processor and in many cases the nmenoics change
      > which are the simple assembly calls that are
      > available with the processor....
      >
      > So may be you have to compile and reinstall the
      > code again......But as you are changing and
      > UPgrading your processor from 266 to k-6 2 (of
      > the same company) you may not need the
      > recompile...
      >
      > And for the RAM there is no need for the
      > recompile(reinstall)..
      >
      > So take the backup and start the "kudzu"...
      > Change the processor and then start the linux...
      > hope it should work fine....

      Can I assume that if I'm writing this to you using the linux box with the processor upgrade installed that I shouldn't see any problems in the future? In other words, would whatever problems I'd have with this upgrade necessarily occur during start up?

      Thanks for the advice.
      Chad
    • Himanshu Sharma
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 5:53 AM
        Hi

        Most probably the problem should have been
        detected at the start...if there was any....

        And since you have just upgraded in the same
        series of processors so there is very less
        chances that the linux won't be compateble
        because generally the company ADDs to the
        any....

        So the linux would run fine...

        Just in case you would have moved from P-III to
        P-I may be you would have had problems....

        And if you have no critical data and
        configurations on the server I suggest the
        reinstallations as this MAY inhance the
        performance....

        Regards

        Himanshu sharma

        --- chad@... wrote:
        > --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Himanshu Sharma
        > <hs_ramdev@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi ,
        > >
        > > For a linux system most of the time you get
        > the
        > > source-code and you need to compile that code
        > > which generates a hardware depenedent
        > binary...
        > >
        > > When we install a new kind of
        > processor...(from
        > > athlon to pentium)then the architecture of
        > the
        > > processor and in many cases the nmenoics
        > change
        > > which are the simple assembly calls that are
        > > available with the processor....
        > >
        > > So may be you have to compile and reinstall
        > the
        > > code again......But as you are changing and
        > > UPgrading your processor from 266 to k-6 2
        > (of
        > > the same company) you may not need the
        > > recompile...
        > >
        > > And for the RAM there is no need for the
        > > recompile(reinstall)..
        > >
        > > So take the backup and start the "kudzu"...
        > > Change the processor and then start the
        > linux...
        > > hope it should work fine....
        >
        > Can I assume that if I'm writing this to you
        > using the linux box with the processor upgrade
        > installed that I shouldn't see any problems in
        > the future? In other words, would whatever
        > problems I'd have with this upgrade necessarily
        > occur during start up?
        >
        > Thanks for the advice.
        > Chad

        =====
        Himanshu Sharma Ramdev

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Tim Fairchild
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 3:51 PM
          On Friday 31 August 2001 17:59, you wrote:
          > Being a long time Win-blows user, I know that upgrading certain pieces
          > of hardware involve reinstalling the OS, or the possibility exists.
          > My question is, if I have a functional Redhat 6.2 installation, and I
          > decided to upgrade the processor and/or memory, will that require any
          > changes to the installation?
          >
          > More specifically, I'm planning on upgrading from a K6 266 to a K6-2
          > 400 that I have lying around. I'm running under the assumption that I
          > can freely add memory with no problems, since even Winblows can handle
          > that.

          I wouldn't expect any probs with the upgrade, asuming you are running the
          standard i386 linux kernal that comes with RH.

          tim

          Tim & Therese Fairchild
          Atchafalaya Border Collies.
          Kuttabul, Queensland, Australia.