Tips

  • Kuj0 _
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 1999
      Hello everyone, I thought to get the list started, I would send a couple of tips that I have learned, and pose a question. The tips will be first :-)

      If you need to mount a floppy or CD-ROM, the easiest way to do so is by going into Xwindows disk management tool. And click on the button that says mount, although this does not always work as Nathan has shown.

      If you don't have the HOWTOs loaded on your system, goto the RPM manager in Xwindows, and load them. They are an excellent source of information, although sometimes a little to technical. Also I recommend loading the nag (Network Administrators Guide) and sag (System Administrators Guide).

      If you are learning RedHat as I am, and you know of some good books, let us know. I bought the RedHat unleashed book, it is good, but leaves you hanging on how to do some things, for instance it tells you nothing about the pnpdump or isapnp commands.

      Something I learned from Lee-Ohki on another list is that if you have a Mitsumi CD-ROM, get a different manufacturer, and if the CD-ROM is not slaved, slave it on the first Controller. Otherwise you will have headaches with the CD-ROM.

      Now for my question, if any of you have an answer. I have a D-LINK DE220 NIC, that is not recignized by RedHat 5.2 on an Acer P75 with 48 megs of RAM. I have tried pnpdump, isapnp and using the ne2000 driver in LINUX. None of those work, and RedHat says that it is supported. Any ideas, on how I can get it to recognize?

      Thanks,
      Bill