Re: [LINUX_Newbies] kernel woes

  • Raquel Rice
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
      On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:06:21 -0400
      Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > Well---I'm not an MS hater....however, actually, I think that Linux,
      once
      > you get used to it--and there's no argument that it takes getting used
      to,
      > is actually easier to streamline than are MS O/S's.
      > If either of you guys are on the Linux list, then you probably read
      about
      > my recent woes upgrading. :) Yes, sometimes, the difficulties can make

      > one gnash their teeth. Yet, once you get used to it, you'll find that
      it
      > might be easier to install Linux than Windows programs---the trouble,
      alas,
      > are those durn dependencies.
      > The reason I say easier is because Linux almost never requires a
      restart,
      > unless for some reason you can't find a particular daemon. :)
      > Scott

      May I add something here, on the topic of "kernel woes" and
      "installation"?

      Up until a little over a year ago I used Windoze NT 3.51. I didn't
      downgrade to 95 or 98 nor did I "upgrade" to NT4 nor NT5. The reason was
      simple. I wanted control. I didn't want things done to my system based
      upon what some other person decided should be done.

      Yes, Linux is probably a little more difficult to install and to install
      software on than say Windoze 98, 2000, Me ... or the next "Wonder OS" from
      M$. However, I retain ultimate control over my system(s). The trouble is
      that "ultimate control" makes heavy demands upon me. It demands that I do
      my homework, do lots of reading, lots of praying and lots of holding my
      breath.

      In the end I have a system that I put together and over which I have
      "ultimate control". I also have a system that I don't have to reboot 3 or
      4 times every day (I beat this thing to death!).

      --
      Raquel
      Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
        This is the BEST! argument for Linux I've
        heard yet.

        ===============
        Men acquire a particular quality by
        constantly acting a particular
        way...you become just by performing just
        actions, temperate by performing
        temperate actions, brave by performing brave
        actions.
        --Aristotle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To unsubscribe from this list, please email
        LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com &
        you will be removed.

        Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        "Experience The Magic"