Introduction: Mike Little

  • Mike Little
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      Hi Friends, Hosts, Masters, Mistresses and other Slaves of and to the
      Wonderful World of Web

      sounds a little mush eh .. ok .. i'll lighten up

      My name is Mike ... Mike Little.

      Basically I've found this group (these goups actually) because after several
      years as a re-selling virtual host, being lost as another number with rude
      and un-professional service centers, I decided it far time to quit paying
      people for something I had to be able to do myself, for less money over all,
      and with less personality headaches - so I decided to get a dedicated
      server - actually I've even joined with a group of others who want to share
      talents and co-host dedicated servers ... but, personally .. well .. yep,
      you guessed it, "I" know next to nothing about what I'm doing. So I thought
      I should meet some other good people interesting in making this all work so
      I did not have to rely so heavily on my small core-group all the time.

      So that's it in a unix-shell and I'm already stumped on something really
      basic...

      Right now all I need to do is upload my new config file to acknowledge the
      IP address I just assigned (oh, BTW my server is on DialtoneInternet, linux,
      redhat, etc)
      i know next to nothing about telnet, so i'm trying to ftp, but I'm getting
      access denied

      do I need to delete the file first (i sort of remember having to do that
      with one server once)
      permission problems? how far up?

      someone told me I could telnet in and ftp out - I said right ! ;)

      remember i'm a total newbie
      all 'gentle' ;) suggestions gratefully and eagerly appreciated
      thanks and Cheers
      Mike
      <><><><>
      Mike Little - 619-233-7205
      <> - - - - - <> - - - - - - <>
      PRIDE Computers ... and ... Internet Resources
      http://theproud.net .. & .. http://yourpersonal.com
      <><< -
      A Co-Sponsor of the DedicatedCo-Host.Network
      - dedicated to working together for a Safer and Free-er Internet for All
      http://216.149.117.226/
    • Jeff and Stephanie Kooser
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
        OK, well I'm not a whole lot more experienced with Linux than Mike is, but
        if I read his email correctly, he needs to upload the config file as
        "root" and then send a HUP to the inetd process, right? Or does the server
        have to reboot?

        _sending HUP to inetd_

        as root,
        $ ps x | grep inetd
        1234 inetd
        $ kill -HUP 1234

        right?

        Jeff Kooser
        Systems Administrator, News-Gazette (kooser@...)

        *)This e-mail was painstakingly sent as text-only, to proactively prevent
        the spread of computer viruses.

        "No actual celebrities were harmed in the filming of this episode"
        --Jon Lovitz, "The Critic"