a bit more on SUSE

  • Scott Robbins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
      Ok, a quick glance at the manual fixed the network card issue--it's done
      afterwards in configure hardware.

      So, again, if you've got MS on your drive and aren't familiar with
      partitioning, it's probably a good choice. Though I still haven't gotten my
      monitor working properly. :-(

      Also, were I not at work, therefore, choosing a bunch of defaults, so that
      it doesn't matter if I'm called away, that might make a difference too. :)

      BTW, this is 7.2 that I'm talking about
      Scott
    • Forrest Halford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
        I just finished installing SuSE 7.2 professional.

        Actually, it was harder backing up some of my data that it was to install the Linux.
        8-)

        I found almost everything by itself and after getting some sleep tonight, I will let you know about
        a detailed report tomorrow.

        One step closer in being free for Gates

        Forrest

        On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:21:53 -0400, you wrote:

        >Ok, a quick glance at the manual fixed the network card issue--it's done
        >afterwards in configure hardware.
        >
        >So, again, if you've got MS on your drive and aren't familiar with
        >partitioning, it's probably a good choice. Though I still haven't gotten my
        >monitor working properly. :-(
        >
        >Also, were I not at work, therefore, choosing a bunch of defaults, so that
        >it doesn't matter if I'm called away, that might make a difference too. :)
        >
        >BTW, this is 7.2 that I'm talking about
        >Scott

      • Forrest Halford
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
          Cannot find my modem for anything.

          It is several years old and generic.
          Perhaps I need to buy a new one.
          But, then I can get the DSL external modem for $250 and that will work with both setups.

          Hmmmm

          Forrest

        • huntsouth@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2001
            Forest--

            Is the modem ISA or PCI? Voice or not? What is the chipset? AT&T,
            Texas Inst., Lucent, Rockwell, Motorola, Ambient are all modem
            chip makers. Does it have a sticker on it with numbers? If it's a
            hardware modem, all you should have to do is configure the Com port
            that the modem is on rather than worry about the modem itself.

            If it's a PCI card, it more than likely is a software modem and those
            don't work well with Linux. See:

            http://www.linmodems.org/ for drivers for some of them.

            Where are you located? Earthlink gives you the modem and the NIC and
            everything in a kit for free if you maimtain a year's service with
            them. Most of the ISP's will give you the modem if you stay 6 months
            to a year. Plus, the Alcatel Speed Touch Home external DSL modem can
            share a connection with as many as 6 computers at once (that's the
            most I've been able to get on mine at home-they will probably do
            more.) and no software is needed. Just plug it up and it works.

            If you want info on that, let me know.

            HTH Tom Hunt

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2001
              Thanks Tom
              It seems that internal DSL modems are not supported at all
              How much is this external DSL modem you speak of and where do I get it?
              They need no drivers, right?
              Thanks
              Forrest

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2001
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Forrest Halford <halfordf@c...> wrote:
                > Thanks Tom
                > It seems that internal DSL modems are not supported at all
                > How much is this external DSL modem you speak of and where do I get
                it?
                > They need no drivers, right?
                > Thanks
                > Forrest

                If you can get on with one of the DSL providers in the US, you will
                most likely get a kit that contains a DSL modem, a NIC, a 6' Cat5
                cable, 5 or 6 filters for the phones in the house, a driver CD and a
                manual. Earthlink mails you a do-it-yourself package and only charges
                you if you have to call a tech to come to your home or business to
                help you get the install right. All the hardware was free if I stayed
                for 6 months (@$49.95/month). I think now you have to stay for 12
                months but I'm not sure. If you sign up with earthlink, tell 'em
                huntsouth@... sent you.

                The standard setup is to install the NIC (network interface card) and
                then connect the modem to it with the Cat5 patch cable. Most of the
                NIC's are Linksys or Netgear, which Linux easily recognizes. Realtek
                is also a good one since they have Linux drivers on the floppy with
                everything else. An unfiltered phone connection plugs into the DSL
                modem and a power source. You need to install the drivers for the NIC
                and configure it but there is nothing you need to load for the modem.
                (In some situations the ISP will tell you that the local phone company
                has to first "provision" your phone line. This means they send out a
                guy to test the speed and make sure it will carry a DSL connection.)
                You will need PPPoE software (Point To Point Protocol over Ethernet).
                Redhat has an rpm package and most of the others have it as well in
                some form or another. Whatever I needed was installed with my initial
                install of Redhat 7.1 so I didn't need to add anything else. Gnome
                comes with a PPPoE config that sets everything up.

                Now, if you want to share the connection with multiple computers, all
                you need is a crossover Cat5 cable and a hub. Remove the DSL modem,
                leaving the software installed and unmodified on the original
                computer. Set up the network with however many computers you want.
                Now plug the DSL modem into the hub with the crossover cable instead
                of the normal one and connect and power it up. You should be able to
                go online with the original computer right away. Load the PPPoE
                software on the others (Linux or Windows machines) and do it as if the
                machines were directly connected to the DSL modem. They all should
                have access and they can all do it at the same time with the same
                account or different accounts. Nice. No software involved at all.
                No ICS stuff to set up. For safety, use a non-routable protocol for
                the network in your home, something like IPX/SPX or NetBEUI and
                disable "File and Print Sharing" over TCP/IP. This makes it much more
                difficult to get to other machines on the network if one system is
                compromised. A friend of mine has his run through an 8 port SMC
                Barricade router.

                At home I've had 4 boxes connected at once with the same account, 3
                running Windows, one Linux, wife uploading pages to her website, me
                downloading ISO's with one, chatting with this one and my daughter
                checking her grades at the university. No problems.

                HTH Tom Hunt