Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Redhat 7.1 on Laptop

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
      At 01:04 2001/07/01 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi
      >I put the redhat cd 7.1 in the Cd rom and started the install and all
      >was well until I got to the part where I was to partition the drive.
      >I do not have the book and was wondering if someone could give me a
      >run down on how to get through this part.

      Of the tools they supply, disk druid is probably the easiest. However, do
      you have free space for Linux already? What's on the machine at present?

      The best explanation though, would probably be to go to RH's site and look
      at their documentation.

      http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/install-guide/s1-steps-partitioning.html

      That's where they begin the explanation.

      It's intimidating at first--but trust me, after awhile it becomes fairly
      easy. :)

      If you want to try using fdisk, which is a bit less intuitive, I have a
      brief explanation of it at
      http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/fdisk.html

      Scott
    • Forrest Halford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hi
        I put the redhat cd 7.1 in the Cd rom and started the install and all
        was well until I got to the part where I was to partition the drive.
        I do not have the book and was wondering if someone could give me a
        run down on how to get through this part.
        "Help" did not help
        8-(

        Forrest
      • Josh Snitkoff
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
          ah, fun with pdisk,
          I'm no expert, though i've used it several times.
          if you type L at the prompt it will give you a list of all the disks you have avalible, figure out which one you want to partition
          then type e. that will get you in to the partition map editor
          big C lets you make new partitions
          little c lets you change the partition type.
          you have to work in blocks, its a pain. i have found the easist thing to do is parition the drive in a partition tool you are already familar with. and then launch pdisk make note of the partitions you want to convert to unix partitions, their device name (i.e. /dev/hda1 for ide or /dev/sda1 for scsi.) there will be at least two , one for root (/) and one for swap (swap)
          also make note of the base block and its length in blocks.
          and when you are done you need to write the partition table, and quit and you are done
          Josh

          Forrest Halford wrote:

          Hi
          I put the redhat cd 7.1 in the Cd rom and started the install and all
          was well until I got to the part where I was to partition the drive.
          I do not have the book and was wondering if someone could give me a
          run down on how to get through this part.
          "Help" did not help
          8-(

          Forrest

        • dj White
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2001
            I had the same problem I think its a bug. If u did
            not use the custom install and partitioned ur own
            drive it wont allow u to save configurations. Ur best
            bet is to go to the SuSE support database and type in
            : alias "etho" not found, or what comes up in ur
            modules.conf file. Thats how I found out what the
            problem was. I think u will find theres an update for
            it. Hope this helps. Dj

            --- snitkoja@... wrote:
            <HR>
            <tt>
            I am trying to get Suse 7.1 going on my mac, and i
            can't get the <BR>
            network up.<BR>
            I have checked the boot log and it is assigning the
            ethernet card a <BR>
            hardware address.<BR>
            in the modules.conf file it says:<BR>
            alias: 'eth0' not found<BR>
            and when i run ifconfig it does not appear at all.<BR>
            tia<BR>
            Josh<BR>
            <BR>
            <BR>
            </tt>

            <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
            of Service</a>.</tt>

            http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
            - Voice chat, mail alerts, stock quotes and favourite news and lots more!
          • root