Unix ABC

  • Skylinux
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
      A is for Awk, which runs like a snail, and
      B is for Biff, which reads all your mail.

      C is for CC, as hackers recall, while
      D is for DD, the command that does all.

      E is for Emacs, which rebinds your keys, and
      F is for Fsck, which rebuilds your trees.

      G is for Grep, a clever detective, while
      H is for Halt, which may seem defective.

      I is for Indent, which rarely amuses, and
      J is for Join, which nobody uses.

      K is for Kill, which makes you the boss, while
      L is for Lex, which is missing from DOS.

      M is for More, from which Less was begot, and
      N is for Nice, which it really is not.

      O is for Od, which prints out things nice, while
      P is for Passwd, which reads in strings twice.

      Q is for Quota, a Berkeley-type fable, and
      R is for Ranlib, for sorting ar [sic] table.

      S is for Spell, which attempts to belittle, while
      T is for True, which does very little.

      U is for Uniq, which is used after Sort, and
      V is for Vi, which is hard to abort.

      W is for Whoami, which tells you your name, while
      X is, well, X, of dubious fame.

      Y is for Yes, which makes an impression, and
      Z is for Zcat, which handles compression.

      Skylinux
      A FALSE sense of security is worse than being unsure.
      (by Steve Gibson)
    • Shadow47
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        Love it!

        Greetz,
        Shadow47.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
          skylinux,

          great post!! hey, is this a reply to the person asking for a list of
          commands a while back? :o)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
            I just installed Debian 2.2 potato and like it very much. I have been unable
            to find out how to get my soundcard working. The sound module is being loaded
            into the kernel. How do you configure the sound? I know my soundcard type,
            addresses, irq, etc.

            Thanks,
            Larry
          • Andy Micklethwaite
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
              At 08:16 01/07/01 -0000, Skylinux wrote:
              >A is for Awk, which runs like a snail, and

              I've heard some verse
              most of it worse.
              The guy's a poet
              and don't we know it.

              Liked it, Skylinux.

              BTW If anyone hasn't seen the Beatles songs modified ("Let It Be" became
              "Write in C") let me know _offline_. There are 4 songs - I don't want to
              waste group bandwidth. I know how annoying excess stuff is (like unsnipped
              replies<G>)!

              Regards, Andy.
              Regards, Andy.
            • rami aubourg
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
                Nice. ;-)

                Here's some other odd verse since we're in the mood.
                Forgive me if it's out of subject.

                Rami

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2001
                  Larry,

                  Did you ever get any help with this? It's usually just a matter
                  of loading the correct module with the correct parameters. It
                  sounds like you've found the correct module already. First, try-
                  ally via /etc/modules.conf. If this is all Greek to you, post
                  to the list again with more detailed information about the module
                  and how you load it.

                  Good luck,

                  Marc Mongeon