Modems

  • Brendhan Horne
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
      I am getting ready to build another computer and need some good
      advice. With windows I normally used a hardware based modem like a
      cirrus card, But with my new one I would like to use creative labs
      modem card I just can't find out if it hardware or software based and
      if there is even a port for it to work on a linux os. If not that
      card what type of modem and or sound card do you recommend for linux,
      I have corel as my current linux but haven't gone hard core with it I
      just learning to use it so I haven't put it on a internet capable
      computer.
      Thanks,
      Brendhan
    • Ray Hawkins
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2004
        Hi All

        I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can anyone recommend a
        56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried 2 winmodems with
        no success.

        Ray
      • Horror Vacui
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2004
          On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:27:25 -0000
          Ray wrote:

          > Hi All
          >
          > I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can anyone recommend a
          > 56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried 2 winmodems with
          > no success.

          That's pretty simple: don't use a winmodem. The only justification to
          use a winmodem with Linux is that you already have one, and don't want
          to buy a real modem. Just buy an external modem connecting to the
          computer via the serial interface, and you're safe.

          If you're for some reason forced to buy a winmodem, check whether it's
          supported beforehand on linmodem.org (or linmodem.net, I don't
          remember). Be careful though, since the vendors often sell different
          chipsets under the same name. There's no certainty.

          Cheers

          --
          Horror Vacui

          Registered Linux user #257714

          - and keep following the GNU.
        • Tim Fairchild
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 7, 2004
            On Thursday 08 Jul 2004 05:27, Ray Hawkins wrote:
            > Hi All
            >
            > I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can anyone recommend a
            > 56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried 2 winmodems with
            > no success.

            All external serial ones should work or look for an internal modem that is
            'DOS' compatible or check for linmodem drivers for lucent chipsets etc.

            tim

            Tim & Therese Fairchild
            Atchafalaya Border Collies.
            Kuttabul, Queensland, Australia.
            Email mailto:tim@...
            Homepage http://www.bcs4me.com
            Photos http://www.pbase.com/amosf
          • Joan Leach
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2004
              --- Ray Hawkins <brenda@...> wrote:
              > Hi All
              >
              > I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can
              > anyone recommend a
              > 56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried
              > 2 winmodems with
              > no success.
              >
              > Ray
              >

              >Best bet is an external serial modem. What the
              problem may be is where Mandrake puts the modem driver
              for your winmodem. The HsfLinModem that works with Red
              Hat, Lycoris, perhaps a few others. But with Mandrake
              and Suse a link was needed which was above my skills
              at the time.

              Good Luck,
              ChiJoan

              > --------------------~-->
              > Toolbar.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/0XFolB/TM

            • Brian E Boothe
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                Does any one have any Knowledge of the formail.cgi ?? I need help
              • Ravi Kashyap
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                  What do u need?

                  --- Brian E Boothe <subrian@...> wrote:
                  > Does any one have any Knowledge of the formail.cgi
                  > ?? I need help

                  =====
                  Ravi Kashyap
                  SESCO INFORMATION SYSTEMS LIMITED [ SESCO LINUX ]
                  http://sescois.sourceforge.net Email: rkashyap@...
                  MAXBIDDING LIMITED
                  http://www.maxbidding.com Email: ravi.kashyap@...
                • Duane A. Couchot-Vore
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 13, 2004
                    --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@s...> wrote:
                    > --- Ray Hawkins <brenda@o...> wrote:
                    > > Hi All
                    > >
                    > > I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can
                    > > anyone recommend a
                    > > 56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried
                    > > 2 winmodems with
                    > > no success.
                    > >
                    > > Ray
                    > >

                    > >Best bet is an external serial modem. What the
                    > problem may be is where Mandrake puts the modem driver
                    > for your winmodem. The HsfLinModem that works with Red
                    > Hat, Lycoris, perhaps a few others. But with Mandrake
                    > and Suse a link was needed which was above my skills
                    > at the time.

                    I just installed a US Robotics FaxModem on Red Hat Fedora Core 2 with
                    hardly a glitch. Don't know if this info will help you on Mandrake,
                    but I had to figure out to do 2 things:

                    1. Run wvdialconf to find the modem and set up the wvdial.conf file.
                    This told me the modem was on ttyS4.

                    2. Create a symbolic link named "modem" in /dev pointing to ttyS4.

                    Not TOTALLY sure it's working yet because the analog line isn't
                    installed, but sendfax is telling me there's no dialtone, so I figure
                    it is.

                    Good luck.
                  • Brian E Boothe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 15, 2004
                      needing help Configuring my formail.pl script I cant get ipast getting
                      the recipients variable to ever work

                      @recipients = &fill_recipients(bboothe@...);

                      how do I Configure this ?????
                    • Brenda ODDI
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 15, 2004
                        > > I have Mandrake 10 installed on a spare PC. Can
                        > > anyone recommend a
                        > > 56k modem with driver that would work. I have tried
                        > > 2 winmodems with
                        > > no success.

                        > >Best bet is an external serial modem. What the
                        > problem may be is where Mandrake puts the modem driver
                        > for your winmodem. The HsfLinModem that works with Red
                        > Hat, Lycoris, perhaps a few others. But with Mandrake
                        > and Suse a link was needed which was above my skills
                        > at the time.

                        I have an external serial modem connected to my Amiga 1200,
                        so I try it out this weekend :)

                        I just installed a US Robotics FaxModem on Red Hat Fedora Core 2 with
                        hardly a glitch. Don't know if this info will help you on Mandrake,
                        but I had to figure out to do 2 things:

                        1. Run wvdialconf to find the modem and set up the wvdial.conf file.
                        This told me the modem was on ttyS4.

                        2. Create a symbolic link named "modem" in /dev pointing to ttyS4.

                        Not TOTALLY sure it's working yet because the analog line isn't
                        installed, but sendfax is telling me there's no dialtone, so I figure
                        it is.

                        Now that's strange as I have a USRobotics SM56 (6502 WinModem) in the
                        Linux machine and this was working fine when the machine ran WinME. So
                        I will take your advice and try what you suggested. I just can't wait
                        to get Mandrake on line and be rid of Wondoze forever :)

                        Ray

                      • Duane A. Couchot-Vore
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 15, 2004
                          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda ODDI" <brenda@o...> wrote:

                          > Now that's strange as I have a USRobotics SM56 (6502 WinModem) in the
                          > Linux machine and this was working fine when the machine ran WinME. So
                          > I will take your advice and try what you suggested. I just can't wait
                          > to get Mandrake on line and be rid of Wondoze forever :)
                          >
                          > Ray

                          Good luck! By the way, I'm sure it's working now ... it's sending
                          faxes like it's supposed to. Now just a glitch with ImageMagick and
                          this project is DONE! :)

                          Regards,
                          Duane