Makefile uninstallation

  • Alberto Luaces
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hello,
      I have compiled a program from its source. Now that I'm using the binaries
      that I have compiled and copied by "make install", I would want to delete
      the directory which contains the sources in order to save HD space.
      Does "make uninstall" works even I had erased the whole source directory
      except the "Makefile" file? In other words, I want to treat the Makefile as
      an uninstallation log.

      TIA

      P.S.: I'm interested in compiling my programs, I don't want to install by
      rpm's, etc.
    • Brian L. Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
        On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Alberto Luaces wrote:

        > I have compiled a program from its source. Now that I'm using the binaries
        >that I have compiled and copied by "make install", I would want to delete
        >the directory which contains the sources in order to save HD space.
        > Does "make uninstall" works even I had erased the whole source directory
        >except the "Makefile" file? In other words, I want to treat the Makefile as
        >an uninstallation log.

        You are correct, the Makefile is the key to an uninstall, just store it
        somewhere and you'll be able to uninstall the software...

        -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
        http://www.blj8.com
        Total Bookmarks in file= 6316
        Were there fewer fools, knaves would starve.
        - Anonymous