Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wireless adapters for linux - ubuntu 12.04 LTS

  • linuxducks
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2013
      If I get what you are asking, is that you have a desktop computer and wish to add wireless connectivity via a wireless adaptor as the following? ....
      The Desktop Wireless Adapter Difference: USB vs. PCI

      Generally all netbooks, notebooks, laptops – especially older ones, not brand new – seem to all work with popular Linux Distros (versions –debian ubuntu etc). I found that if you run the Live demo mode of a Linux distro on one of these with wireless connectivity on, that if compatible Linux will connect unless it is a protected network as with WEP, WPA, WPA and you have to enter the pass key first in the little connection manager and name of station – like a Home Network sample name Dog House.

      If you are indeed looking to add a wireless adaptor to a desktop rather, I was just ready to do this with a family member who has an XP (Windows) desktop. Unfortunately, their antenna got broken. Since Windows XP is ending support forever in months, I had suggested He just install Linux. I told him I would get back to him with information whether a Linux distro of choice (or any) would be compatible with such an adaptor or if a driver (free) would be seperately needed to be installed even if would be a propritery driver ( I believe is called that actually costs a few bucks). That’s when his antenna got broken during cleaning. I may trade him for the used desktop and run it ethernet connected, or he may wish to keep it and buy another wireless adaptor for desktop. HERE are some links I have found so far.......

      Wireless adapters/Chipset table
      Wireless adapter (802.11b and later) chipsets and native Linux support

      Existing Linux Wireless drivers

      Introduction
      Linuxant strives to bring the very latest Wireless LAN technology to the Linux community...

      PCI / USB Network Adapters, Linux Driver Support

      FOUND these using the following google search words
      "usb vs pci wireless adapter linux support driver"
      Results: (may find more)

      Some discussions in forums may help too from the search results for specifics. Another approach may be to go to the wireless adaptor manufacturer site, pick from the models available, and one by one check of they list Linux compatibilitly and specifics.

      gerald philly pa usa, webmaster:

      Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:14 AM
      Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Wireless adapters for linux - ubuntu 12.04 LTS

      Please can anyone help me.I  use the above [I am not sure of the kernel version]  on a Lenovo comp. with Vista.and there seems to be a lot of confusion about which wireless adapter should be bought to use for my particular requirements according to the above info. as shown.Can anyone advise me which adapter I should buy with regard to chip  name and chip set  version or number ie RTL  8191 as an example.I am very much a newbie to linux and ubuntu and I just want to buy the correct adapter  for my set up and preferably a plug and play, and supports the linux kernel by default,as this will save searching for correct drivers.This info I gathered online.My system is 32 bit Vista.Any help would be really appreciated.
      Thankyou  Barrie Haigh lovely Anna Bay

    • G.LinuxDucks
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
        Found some YouTubes that may help....

        USB Wireless on Ubuntu
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk8g1vr2kpA

        Using ndiswrapper to get your wireless adapter working...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p59xfRtMLw

        ALSO... Go To:
        ndiswrapper | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
        http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Main_Page
        CLICK
        List of known WORKING devices
        http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Category:WORKS

        Go to YouTube and I used search words " linux wireless adapter " and got a lot of results for video tutorials.

        gerald philly pa usa
        http://linuxducks.webs.com/

        Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:14 AM