Ubuntu 12.04 - "This kernel requires the following features..."

  • relztrah
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2013

      I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 to a CD and attempted to install it on my laptop but when I did, I get the message: This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae

      Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate...

      So apparently this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop is not able to run Ubuntu. I am willing to use another distro (Puppy?) as long as it will work with my wireless network and not require a lot of configuring.

    • Joan Leach
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2013
        Bodhi has 2 flavors of 32-bit, maybe Snowlinux and some others. I think I'd try those based on LXDE or XFCE, since they have a less demanding GUI. Zorin or Mint has been good, but Puppy is fine for those handy times.

        Joan in Reno

        I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 to a CD and attempted to install it on my laptop but when I did, I get the message: This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae

        Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate...

        So apparently this Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop is not able to run Ubuntu. I am willing to use another distro (Puppy?) as long as it will work with my wireless network and not require a lot of configuring.

      • pfrederick1
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2013

          It says right in the error message what is wrong. The CPU in that system does not have PAE, but the kernel is configured for a PAE capable CPU. The system could run Ubuntu if you had a kernel that ran on that CPU. PAE doesn't do you any good with less than 4 GB of RAM anyways.

          This webpage has an ISO with the right kernel

          http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-1210-on-non-pae.html

          Or so it says