Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users on one computer

  • Cameron Simpson
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 19, 2013
      On 19Sep2013 18:03, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
      | > | I open tb and I can see all emails.
      | > | When I used a text based software like mutt
      | > | can I see also all emails or onyl file names in one directory?
      | >
      | > Mutt generally shows you only one mail folder at a time, but you
      | > can change folders easily enoguh, and also tell it to monitor various
      | > folders for the arrival of new email.
      |
      | So I can see
      | only the name of the sender of the email and the topic?

      You can tune what is in the lines in the message index.
      Here's a snapshot of mine, showing your message:

      20Sep2013 02:11 Steven Aftergoo ! Secrecy News -- 09/19/13 KNOWN, Personal 11K
      20Sep2013 02:03 highskywhy@yaho ! ┌> KNOWN, LNXNewbies, Personal 0.7K
      13Sep2013 07:14 To LINUX_Newbie - ┌>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users on one computer 0.6K
      14Aug2013 19:43 To LINUX_Newbie - ├>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users on one computer 1.2K

      Your mail reader may fold those lines up, making them very ugly.
      Make it as wide as possible.

      There should be exactly 4 lines above, each showing:

      message date and time (in my local time)

      message author (you can see your message on line 2)

      flags (the "!" means I should pay this more attention)

      threading and subject
      see the "|->" ? They show how messages in a single thread are related
      your message is thus clearly a reply to my message on 13Sep2013

      x-label (a header written by my mail filing program, and used by mutt)
      this marks some messages with a "category"
      this is quite useful in mixed folders, where I file several
      related mailing lists; it is obvious which mailing list the
      message is from

      message size
      really there just for interest, but sometimes handy when looking
      for attachments, or for "long" messages

      See the "index_format" variable in the mutt documentation:

      http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#index_format

      My config line says:

      set index_format="%D %-15.15F %S %?M?(%M) ?%?H?[%H] ?%s%> %y %4c"

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

      Physics and Law Enforcement -- if it weren't for those two, I'd be unstoppable.
      - Dan Sorensen in alt.peeves
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 27, 2013
        Good afternoon
        Fr Sep 27 17:40:34 2013
        Thank You for email and help.

        > | > Mutt generally shows you only one mail folder at a time, but you
        > | > can change folders easily enoguh, and also tell it to monitor various
        > | > folders for the arrival of new email.
        > |
        > | So I can see
        > | only the name of the sender of the email and the topic?
        >
        > You can tune what is in the lines in the message index.
        > Here's a snapshot of mine, showing your message:
        >
        > 20Sep2013 02:11 Steven Aftergoo ! Secrecy News -- 09/19/13
        KNOWN, Personal 11K
        > 20Sep2013 02:03 highskywhy@yaho ! ┌>
        KNOWN, LNXNewbies, Personal 0.7K
        > 13Sep2013 07:14 To LINUX_Newbie - ┌>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 0.6K
        > 14Aug2013 19:43 To LINUX_Newbie - ├>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 1.2K

        Thank You for special help.
        For this I was looking.

        > Your mail reader may fold those lines up, making them very ugly.
        > Make it as wide as possible.
        >
        > There should be exactly 4 lines above, each showing:
        >
        > message date and time (in my local time)
        >
        > message author (you can see your message on line 2)
        >
        > flags (the "!" means I should pay this more attention)
        >
        > threading and subject
        > see the "|->" ? They show how messages in a single thread are
        related
        > your message is thus clearly a reply to my message on 13Sep2013
        >
        > x-label (a header written by my mail filing program, and used by mutt)
        > this marks some messages with a "category"
        > this is quite useful in mixed folders, where I file several
        > related mailing lists; it is obvious which mailing list the
        > message is from
        >
        > message size
        > really there just for interest, but sometimes handy when looking
        > for attachments, or for "long" messages
        >
        > See the "index_format" variable in the mutt documentation:
        >
        > http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#index_format
        >
        > My config line says:
        >
        > set index_format="%D %-15.15F %S %?M?(%M) ?%?H?[%H] ?%s%> %y %4c"

        Thank You