RE: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Windows 8 and Linux install

  • pfrederick1
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2013

      Some Linux distributions offer keyed kernels. Red Hat and SUSE Enterprise Linux I believe. That does not mean any Linux kernel can use secure boot though. I have not heard that UEFI was made by any mandate of the US government either. EFI was made by a consortium of corporations, including Intel, and some other big names, then extended by Microsoft into UEFI.

      Whatever the motives were the end result has been greater difficulty in getting Linux to run on machines that have UEFI. Not running Windows at all UEFI does me absolutely no good whatsoever. The next time I am shopping around for a new system I will be looking for non-UEFI alternatives for myself too. I probably won't run x86 architecture at all, but will go with something ARM based. In time I can see ARM being the dominant platform for running Linux on.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <linux_newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Here is another with some plain good old plenty of plain talk information. loosely from what memory recalls as I have been following this but not lately, is that Linux finally came up with the Secure Key route. The way toattack this task of dual boot Linux and Windows 8 is to go to the Windows side of the aisle. Simply, and beyond a lot of misinformation and disinformation and said to say from the linux side is that NO monopoly was created by Microsoft on computers with the secure boot Windows 8. They have been up once in the 1980s for that. They are NOT up for that now at this late date and would have been if they were guilty – believe it as mad as the Linux side became. So all it is to set up things is simply entering a secure key yourself in Windows 8 to be able to run Linux dual boot. You have to set up Windows to install Linux and NOT the other way around.

      LINK
      If I Buy a Computer with Windows 8 and Secure Boot Can I Still Install Linux?

      As well I remember the article I was reading that actually the USA Government required Windows to produce an anti-rootkit/bootkit lock out technology and was the pressure to create Windows 8. I could try to find that link buried somewhere – so this was not some NEW Micro$oft game to mess with the public and other OSs as Linux. They were pressured by the American Government to do so. There is also the on by default for the new machines.

      gerald philly pa usa

      Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 5:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Windows 8 and Linux install

      Today's Distrowatch.com Weekly question has some info on this topic.

      http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130909#qa

      Joan in Reno

    • James Jolin

        Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 5:29 PM

        Today's Distrowatch.com Weekly question has some info on this topic.

        http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130909#qa

        Joan in Reno

      • C. Beck
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2013
          On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM, James Jolin <james.jolin@...> wrote:

          > Having started this thread I have enough of a solution after reading all the various threads. If I want to run Mint 15 I just go into the bios and change boot priority to legacy and for windows I use ufei. Works until something better comes along. Thanks alot for the info.
          > Jim

          If you prefer the secure boot security, there should be an option to
          put the UEFI into setup mode to add your own key for whatever you are
          about to install. If I remember what I have read and understood it
          properly, several distros are also shipping the OS with a key
          purchased from Microsoft. Ubuntu is doing that from 12.10 on, so
          Maybe mint will pick it up also in the near future. I would prefer
          figuring out how to add the key myself (or just disabling it as you
          have) if I ever purchase Windows 8 hardware.
        • linuxducks
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2013
            Sorry, forgot to add this link if helpful, as you were saying you did not have the back up emergency repair disk.....

            How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8
            Windows 8 allows you to create a recovery drive (USB) or system repair disc (CD or DVD) that can be used to troubleshoot and restore your computer. Each type of recovery media gives you access to Windows’ advanced startup options. ...

            http://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to-create-and-use-a-recovery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=281212

            gerald philly pa usa

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2013
              Sorry again it seems I did not post these article sources, as may have been the contorversy, if you will, as perhaps why I was considered FUD by a Group Member..... and I hope he reads these!
              Sorry if I gave any wrong impressions as some alarmist speaking out of there hat. I do a lot of research in computer security and is much harder in Linux than Windows (lol).  Now again, so I do not seem an alarmist, I am intimating only that things are possible - not as occurring on some regular basis. As with most posted Linux malware - much just seems nothing more than proof-of-concept type malware rather than actual infection reports. SEE http://www.techopedia.com/definition/4066/proof-of-concept-poc

              Me personally, I know better than to just ignore or be apathetic towards computer security with any Operating System. Chatter has only increased in just recent months to couple years for Linux and Mac/Apple. It is my belief it is just the calm before the storm for other than Windows systems. Be prepared is a good motto. Otherwise, with Linux users it is okay for them to think me a nervous nellie. Perhaps just mentioning things turns just that little attention needed to keep in the back of mind somewhere - to adopt prevention. This is my last post here as I have taken up too much time. Again my apologies if i was not clear enough and seemed coming out of FUD left field!

              The following deal with having a dual boot system and the future perhaps will hold Linux cross infecting Windows having full access to it just being on the computer in  dual boot configuration. Possible? Proable? I will leave that up to the reader and Linux experts - the creators of it. This gives a whole new slant on articles like "10 Ways to Use Linux to Fix Your Windows PC" whereby Linux will actually infect Windows (future shock?).

              I posted these at my blog here.... (BRIEF BELOW)
              New virus infects Linux and Windows platforms (cross-platform infections)

              New virus infects Linux and Windows platforms (cross-platform infections)…..
              Winux Virus
              New virus infects Linux and Windows platforms: security technology studies microsoft windows versions linux viruses malicious payload william stearns….
              Winux: Two in One Virus
              The first Windows, Linux cross-platform virus discovered
              “Virus researchers have discovered a new breed of virus that infects both Windows and Linux files on Intel-based Pentium PC’s. Considered a proof-of-concept virus, it has not been found in-the-wild. As such, it is not posing a threat to users, but could signal the beginning of a new precedent in virus writing – the cross-platform threat. Within less than a day of discovery, the new virus has already been assigned a number of different names, including Linux.PEElf.2132, W32.Winux, Linux.Winux, W32/Lindose, and W32.PEElf.2132.  …..

              HISTORY…..
              Cross-platform Virus Infects Linux And Windows
              April 7, 2006
              A Russian security company announced Friday that it had found a cross-over virus that can infect PCs running either the open-source Linux or Microsoft Windows operating systems. Dubbed “Linux.Bi.a” and “Win32.Bi.a,” the split-personality malware doesn’t do any damage. Instead, said Moscow-based Kaspersky Labs in an online briefing, it’s a proof-of-concept to prove that a cross-platform virus is possible.
              Java Based Cross Platform Malware Trojan (Mac/Linux/Windows)
              It’s pretty rare to read about malware on the Linux or Mac OSX platforms and even more rare to read about cross-platform malware which targets both AND Windows by using Java. A neat piece of coding indeed, it targets vulnerabilities in all 3 operating systems – the sad thing? The malware itself is vulnerable to a basic directory traversal exploit, which means rival gangs can actually commandeer the infected targets.
              They went to lengths to keep it secure and unseen (encrypted communications etc) – but didn’t program the malware itself securely…

              Computerworld -
              Kaspersky Labs is reporting a new proof-of-concept virus capable of infecting both Windows and Linux systems.
              The cross-platform virus is relatively simple and appears to have a low impact, according to Kaspersky. Even so, it could be a sign that virus writers are beginning to research ways of writing new code capable of infecting multiple platforms, said Shane Coursen, senior technical consultant at Kaspersky.

              RELATED:
              Torvalds Patches Linux Kernel, Fixes Broken Virus -
              PCWorld
              After discovering that the virus didn’t work on recent versions of Linux, …
              ” We may see another virus using the same method of cross-platform infection. … ”

              Linux malware From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              A new area of concern identified in 2007 is that of cross-platform … was discovered that contained a script that used the infected Linux PC in denial-of- service attacks. … There are a number of anti-virus applications available for Linux, …. Windows Viruses”.

              Research Item:
              Executable and Linkable Format
              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

              FOR THE REST SEE FOR YOURSELF
              linux kernel rootkit

              linux botnet

              FANTASY?
              The First Linux Botnet
              The main thing keeping Linux desktops out of botnets is the sophistication of their users, but the people who built Psyb0t knew most people don't pay much attention to router security.
              They're calling it the first botnet designed for broadband equipment and routers, and that it is. But it's also the first of something else: Psyb0t is the first Linux botnet.

              And even though it's running on hardware devices and even though it's running on Linux, and an obscure distribution of Linux at that, the basic mechanisms of it aren't that different from "conventional" botnets that run on Windows PCs. There's a lesson here. ....

              THE LINKS SHOULD COVER WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. MY LAST POST TO THIS THREAD!

              gerald philly pa usa

              Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:11 PM