How to make a bootable disc from a install disc

  • plainwhitewrapper
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi,

      I have a fedora 17 install disc and I want to make a bootable disc from it. How do I do that?

      Thanks in advance
    • Joan Leach
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
        http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all
        You need a Live CD iso image.
        Joan in Reno

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
          On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 01:50:44PM -0000, plainwhitewrapper wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a fedora 17 install disc and I want to make a bootable disc from it. How do I do that?

          If it's a CD or DVD, you put it in the computer and set the computer to
          boot from CD. There's usually a way to do that in the BIOS, and many
          computers allow you to choose a boot method when you boot it up.

          I would add that Fedora 17 is already EOL (End Of Life) and you'd be better
          off using Fedora 19. Do you mean a bootable disk to run as a live CD? If
          that's the case, Fedora offers live CD's and you'd be better off using
          that (and one for Fedora 19). Their install disk doesn't have a run as
          live CD option, though you can install from their live CD. However, if you
          do install from the liveCD you are somewhat limited in your options as far
          as partitioning and package selection.

        • J
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
            On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > I would add that Fedora 17 is already EOL (End Of Life) and you'd be better
            > off using Fedora 19. Do you mean a bootable disk to run as a live CD? If
            > that's the case, Fedora offers live CD's and you'd be better off using
            > that (and one for Fedora 19).

            Additionally, you'd be better off taking that live ISO and putting it
            onto a USB key using a tool like unetbootin. putting it on USB allows
            you to have persistent data stored as well as it just boots and runs
            faster than via CD/DVD.

            http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

            Cheers,

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "plainwhitewrapper" <plainwhitewrapper@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I have a fedora 17 install disc and I want to make a bootable disc from it. How do I do that?
              >

              > Thanks in advance

              Fedora has a website with information about creating discs for their distribution. It is a bit convoluted but they do have to cover a number of methods.

              http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Burning_ISO_images_to_disc/index.html

              This may be more concise

              http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html

              Personally I've moved away from discs, or systems that cannot boot off flash drives because flash booting is just so much nicer. So if your hardware has the capability to boot off flash then I suggest you leave discs in the past where they belong and focus on current technology.

              A few clicks and you're done
              http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
            • pascal.hasko
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                Hi, --- In linux_newbies@yahoogroups.com, <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote: On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Scott < scottro@... > wrote:
                >> I would add that Fedora 17 is already EOL (End Of Life) and you'd be better
                >>off using Fedora 19. Do you mean a bootable disk to run as a live CD? If
                >t>hat's the case, Fedora offers live CD's and you'd be better off using
                >> that (and one for Fedora 19).

                >Additionally, you'd be better off taking that live ISO and putting it
                >onto a USB key using a tool like unetbootin. putting it on USB allows
                >you to have persistent data stored as well as it just boots and runs
                >faster than via CD/DVD.

                >http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

                Unetbootin makes persistent USB keys only for Ubuntu. All other distributions put onto the stick via Unetbootin are 'live' only. :-( Pascal
              • J
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2013
                  On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM, <pascal.bernhard@...> wrote:
                  > Unetbootin makes persistent USB keys only for Ubuntu. All other distributions put onto the stick via Unetbootin are 'live' only. :-( Pascal

                  Oh bother... thanks for mentioning that. I didn't realize that was an
                  Ubuntu only thing.