Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users on one computer

  • C. Beck
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 18, 2013
      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM, highskywhy@...
      <highskywhy@...> wrote:

      > Good afternoon
      > Mi Jul 17 16:39:46 2013
      > Thank You for help.

      > > | will open open firefox in the existing X session of "user1" while
      > sourcing
      > > | user2's firfeox profile/bookmarks, etc.
      > >
      > > Yes, but only because you're now running firefox as root! Surely
      > > not the plan. It also tends to litter your homedir with root owned
      > > files ready to cause inconvenience later.
      > *
      > Is this the same situation
      > today I am booting as user1
      > and
      > tomorrow I am booting as user2.

      That is a different situation than the one described above.

      > What kind of firefox are 1 and 2 using?

      They are using the same version of firefox, but with their own
      bookmarks, history, cookies, homepage, login, etc.

      > > | At least since Ubuntu 10.04, there has been a "switch user" from the
      > > | login/out options. It suspends the session of the active user, and
      > lets a
      > > | different user log into their own desktop environment, I think in a
      > > | different tty.
      > >
      > > That sounds like what Sophie wants.
      > *
      > Yes.
      > Thank You.

      Glad you found a solution you like!

      Best, ~Chris
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 27, 2013
        Good afternoon
        Fr Sep 27 17:40:34 2013
        Thank You for email and help.

        > | > Mutt generally shows you only one mail folder at a time, but you
        > | > can change folders easily enoguh, and also tell it to monitor various
        > | > folders for the arrival of new email.
        > |
        > | So I can see
        > | only the name of the sender of the email and the topic?
        >
        > You can tune what is in the lines in the message index.
        > Here's a snapshot of mine, showing your message:
        >
        > 20Sep2013 02:11 Steven Aftergoo ! Secrecy News -- 09/19/13
        KNOWN, Personal 11K
        > 20Sep2013 02:03 highskywhy@yaho ! ┌>
        KNOWN, LNXNewbies, Personal 0.7K
        > 13Sep2013 07:14 To LINUX_Newbie - ┌>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 0.6K
        > 14Aug2013 19:43 To LINUX_Newbie - ├>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 1.2K

        Thank You for special help.
        For this I was looking.

        > Your mail reader may fold those lines up, making them very ugly.
        > Make it as wide as possible.
        >
        > There should be exactly 4 lines above, each showing:
        >
        > message date and time (in my local time)
        >
        > message author (you can see your message on line 2)
        >
        > flags (the "!" means I should pay this more attention)
        >
        > threading and subject
        > see the "|->" ? They show how messages in a single thread are
        related
        > your message is thus clearly a reply to my message on 13Sep2013
        >
        > x-label (a header written by my mail filing program, and used by mutt)
        > this marks some messages with a "category"
        > this is quite useful in mixed folders, where I file several
        > related mailing lists; it is obvious which mailing list the
        > message is from
        >
        > message size
        > really there just for interest, but sometimes handy when looking
        > for attachments, or for "long" messages
        >
        > See the "index_format" variable in the mutt documentation:
        >
        > http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#index_format
        >
        > My config line says:
        >
        > set index_format="%D %-15.15F %S %?M?(%M) ?%?H?[%H] ?%s%> %y %4c"

        Thank You