Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users on one computer

  • Cameron Simpson
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 17, 2013
      On 17Jul2013 17:18, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
> [...]
      | > |
      | > | will open open firefox in the existing X session of "user1" while
      | sourcing
      | > | user2's firfeox profile/bookmarks, etc.
      | >
      | > Yes, but only because you're now running firefox as root! Surely
      | > not the plan. It also tends to litter your homedir with root owned
      | > files ready to cause inconvenience later.
      | *
      | Is this the same situation
      | today I am booting as user1
      | and
      | tomorrow I am booting as user2.

      Try to avoid this notion of "booting". Booting is what happens when
      you shut the machine down and start it up. You may be doing that,
      but it is overkill. Just log out, and log in as someone else. If
      your desktop has some kind of "switch user" facility, that is even
      more convenient.

      | What kind of firefox are 1 and 2 using?

      They'd be running the same firefox, but as different users. Hopefully
      with the files in each user's specific home directory. This is
      reliably done using separate desktops, one as each user.

      When you start using "su" you have some pitfalls to consider. Many
      programs rely on the $HOME environment variable to decide where
      files should go. If you use "su user2" instead of "su - user2" then
      $HOME will probably be user1's home directory. Chaos ensues. The
      program may well try to write where it has no permission.

      Worse is plain "su" or "su -". That means "su root" or "su - root".
      It will have the same "wrong directory" issues, but root will not
      be troubles by permissions. It may well write all sorts of files
      on user1's home directory, owned by root. The user1 will have trouble
      laters when he/she encouters these files.

      Conversely, (with "su -") the program may run as root, and you end
      up leaving personal stuff in root's home directory.

      Keeping things in distinct desktops and avoiding "su" is far less confusing.

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

      Why be politically correct when you can be right?
      - Geoff Miller
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 27, 2013
        Good afternoon
        Fr Sep 27 17:40:34 2013
        Thank You for email and help.

        > | > Mutt generally shows you only one mail folder at a time, but you
        > | > can change folders easily enoguh, and also tell it to monitor various
        > | > folders for the arrival of new email.
        > |
        > | So I can see
        > | only the name of the sender of the email and the topic?
        >
        > You can tune what is in the lines in the message index.
        > Here's a snapshot of mine, showing your message:
        >
        > 20Sep2013 02:11 Steven Aftergoo ! Secrecy News -- 09/19/13
        KNOWN, Personal 11K
        > 20Sep2013 02:03 highskywhy@yaho ! ┌>
        KNOWN, LNXNewbies, Personal 0.7K
        > 13Sep2013 07:14 To LINUX_Newbie - ┌>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 0.6K
        > 14Aug2013 19:43 To LINUX_Newbie - ├>Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Two users
        on one computer 1.2K

        Thank You for special help.
        For this I was looking.

        > Your mail reader may fold those lines up, making them very ugly.
        > Make it as wide as possible.
        >
        > There should be exactly 4 lines above, each showing:
        >
        > message date and time (in my local time)
        >
        > message author (you can see your message on line 2)
        >
        > flags (the "!" means I should pay this more attention)
        >
        > threading and subject
        > see the "|->" ? They show how messages in a single thread are
        related
        > your message is thus clearly a reply to my message on 13Sep2013
        >
        > x-label (a header written by my mail filing program, and used by mutt)
        > this marks some messages with a "category"
        > this is quite useful in mixed folders, where I file several
        > related mailing lists; it is obvious which mailing list the
        > message is from
        >
        > message size
        > really there just for interest, but sometimes handy when looking
        > for attachments, or for "long" messages
        >
        > See the "index_format" variable in the mutt documentation:
        >
        > http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#index_format
        >
        > My config line says:
        >
        > set index_format="%D %-15.15F %S %?M?(%M) ?%?H?[%H] ?%s%> %y %4c"

        Thank You