Re: Mounting the floppy drive

  • chi_joan_pc
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2013
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <james.jolin@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Loyal,,
      > > No I looked at /dev with midnight commander. I do see the floppy in /etc/fstab. I will run the mount command and see what happens.
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Jim

      > > > When you checked for devices under /dev, did you use a command similar to the following:
      > > >
      > > > sudo ls /dev
      > > >
      > > > There are always entries under /dev. I have not used a floppy in a while but I believe they are listed as /dev/fd*. However another
      > > > way you can check given that it shows up as mounted under /media
      > > > is just the command "mount" which will tell you everything mounted currently.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this is what you are looking for.
      > > >
      > > > Loyal
      >
      > try
      >
      > mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
      >
      > Assuming your floppy is formatted with FAT12. It doesn't have to be, but there is a fair chance it is.
      >
      > You should be able to fdisk the floppy device first to check what filesystem type it is.
      >
      > fdisk -l /dev/fd0
      >
      > Should print out what fdisk thinks is going on. I'd try it out to be sure but none of the systems I run have floppy drives in them anymore. The last time I tried to use a floppy all of the drives I had were messed up from age. I couldn't get one drive to read a disk I'd written in another one. Since then I have not bothered with the things myself.

      Hello,

      Would it matter how Linux sees the floppy if it was in an external USB kind of drive? Also how does Linux handle USB ZIP or LS-120 floppies? Maybe others would like to know?

      Thanks,
      Joan in Reno
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2013
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "chi_joan_pc" <jleach728@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Would it matter how Linux sees the floppy if it was in an external USB kind of drive? Also how does Linux handle USB ZIP or LS-120 floppies? Maybe others would like to know?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joan in Reno

        It beats me as I've never used any of those devices personally. But if I was really interested in knowing I'd look in dmesg. or a system log to try and see where Linux is linking the device.
      • din_jadhav2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
          Sent from Samsung MobilePaul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "chi_joan_pc" <jleach728@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Would it matter how Linux sees the floppy if it was in an external USB kind of drive? Also how does Linux handle USB ZIP or LS-120 floppies? Maybe others would like to know?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Joan in Reno

          It beats me as I've never used any of those devices personally. But if I was really interested in knowing I'd look in dmesg. or a system log to try and see where Linux is linking the device.

        • loyal_barber
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <james.jolin@...> wrote:

            > Loyal,,
            > No I looked at /dev with midnight commander. I do see the floppy in
            > /etc/fstab. I will run the mount command and see what happens.
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > <snip>

            Two things: (1) is this a floppy built into the computer or is it
            an external USB floppy? (2) Did you try the command I suggested from
            the command line?

            Loyal
          • James Jolin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
              Loyal,
              Haven't had much time to experiment....sick spouse. There are things in
              the dev directory. I got mixed up when composing my email. Someone gave
              me the exact command line syntax for the mount command.....I had completely
              forgotten that. The floppy is on my laptop. I am getting a usb floppy
              for just this sort of thing. Thanks for all the help. Will find out how
              linux treats usb floppies.
              Jim