Dumping Microsoft!

  • tbarbour2001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
      After more than 20 years of growing antipathy toward Microsoft, I am ready to bail!

      I have a Dell laptop with XP that's growing long in the tooth, which I have been relatively happy with for ten years or so, and a one-year old cheap desktop with Win 7, which I do not like, as MS had removed many of the useful features I liked in XP. They don't play well together on the same WiFi network.

      I've used Win 8, and I would not spend a dime to upgrade to it from anything!

      I see two choices: buy MacIntosh or convert both current machines to Linux.

      I do consider myself computer-literate, but I'm afraid I may be suffering from too much Microsoftening of the head.

      My Linux plan would be to first convert the desktop, but keep all my current work on the laptop, then when comfortable, put all mu current work on the desktop, and finally, convert the laptop.

      I'd appreciate any advice, especially from those who have made the conversion.

      Thanks to all,

      Tom Barbour
    • chi_joan_pc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hello Tom,

        See below...

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "tbarbour2001" <tabarbour@...> wrote:

        > After more than 20 years of growing antipathy toward Microsoft, I am ready to bail!
        >
        > I have a Dell laptop with XP that's growing long in the tooth, which I have been relatively happy with for ten years or so, and a one-year old cheap desktop with Win 7, which I do not like, as MS had removed many of the useful features I liked in XP. They don't play well together on the same WiFi network.
        >
        > I've used Win 8, and I would not spend a dime to upgrade to it from anything!
        >
        > I see two choices: buy MacIntosh or convert both current machines to Linux.
        >
        > I do consider myself computer-literate, but I'm afraid I may be suffering from too much Microsoftening of the head.
        >
        > My Linux plan would be to first convert the desktop, but keep all my current work on the laptop, then when comfortable, put all mu current work on the desktop, and finally, convert the laptop.
        >
        > I'd appreciate any advice, especially from those who have made the conversion.
        >
        > Thanks to all,
        >
        > Tom Barbour

        Any chance you could take out the Win7 hard drive and put in another for testing Linux installs, or even USB flash drive installs? I think of your chance of reselling or passing on the Win7 tower. Besides you could see it in an USB enclosure on either computer that way. Some like Puppy Linux would need to mount the USB hard drive first, but just like Windows it would proper removing before removing, otherwise it could become unreadable.

        Have you tried any Linux Live CD, DVD or Flash drives? I like Zorin because I can add my HP Laserjet and scanner from the Live CD or DVD. Mint couldn't add the scanner. For older computers stick with those based on LXDE, you can search Distrowatch.com for more info. Plus others will offer advice...Try Puppy or others for older computers on the laptop.

        Joan in Reno
      • Richard Innes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
          On 03/07/13 05:33, tbarbour2001 wrote:

          > After more than 20 years of growing antipathy toward Microsoft, I am
          > ready to bail!
          >
          > I have a Dell laptop with XP that's growing long in the tooth, which I
          > have been relatively happy with for ten years or so, and a one-year
          > old cheap desktop with Win 7, which I do not like, as MS had removed
          > many of the useful features I liked in XP. They don't play well
          > together on the same WiFi network.
          >
          > I've used Win 8, and I would not spend a dime to upgrade to it from
          > anything!
          >
          > I see two choices: buy MacIntosh or convert both current machines to
          > Linux.
          >
          > I do consider myself computer-literate, but I'm afraid I may be
          > suffering from too much Microsoftening of the head.
          >
          > My Linux plan would be to first convert the desktop, but keep all my
          > current work on the laptop, then when comfortable, put all mu current
          > work on the desktop, and finally, convert the laptop.
          >
          > I'd appreciate any advice, especially from those who have made the
          > conversion.
          >
          > Thanks to all,
          >
          > Tom Barbour

          If your Hd is large enough - or you can install a larger HD - I'd
          recommend dual-booting.
          Microsoft does indeed have many faults but so too do the many Linux
          distros.The relative faults of each depend on your hardware, the
          applications you use, and your style of working.
          I long ago realized that for myself dual-booting offered as far as
          possible the best of both world.
          unclerichaard

        • John Ferrell
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
            If your main interest is to escape windows with as little effort as
            possible I would recommend you first try a live boot of Kubuntu. It is
            simply a Debian Distro that comes with all the popular software already
            to go. If you choose to make it bootable, get an extra drive to load
            the Kubuntu system. Most modern Motherboards will permit you to
            enable/HDD's and select boot devices from BIOS. A usb connected drive
            will likely work but there is a terrible performance handicap for the OS
            if you want to compare the speeds of linux/windows. Kubuntu is intended
            to run from the GUI and you will not find a terminal mode available
            unless you choose to install it.

            I you wish to become proficient with Linux in general, it is not a good
            choice because it is ready to go simply by installing.
            FWIW, I am a newby with "Learn Linux" as a goal.

            --
            John Ferrell W8CCW
            "The pessimist complains about the wind;

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2013
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "tbarbour2001" <tabarbour@...> wrote:

              > After more than 20 years of growing antipathy toward Microsoft, I am ready to bail!
              >
              > I have a Dell laptop with XP that's growing long in the tooth, which I have been relatively happy with for ten years or so, and a one-year old cheap desktop with Win 7, which I do not like, as MS had removed many of the useful features I liked in XP. They don't play well together on the same WiFi network.
              >
              > I've used Win 8, and I would not spend a dime to upgrade to it from anything!
              >
              > I see two choices: buy MacIntosh or convert both current machines to Linux.
              >
              > I do consider myself computer-literate, but I'm afraid I may be suffering from too much Microsoftening of the head.
              >
              > My Linux plan would be to first convert the desktop, but keep all my current work on the laptop, then when comfortable, put all mu current work on the desktop, and finally, convert the laptop.
              >
              > I'd appreciate any advice, especially from those who have made the conversion.
              >
              > Thanks to all,
              >
              > Tom Barbour

              I made the conversion quite some time ago but I still remember it. Don't plan on dumping Microsoft cold turkey. It will take you some time to come fully up to speed running Linux. How much time depends on how much effort you put into it. But you shouldn't feel like you're behind the 8 ball as far as getting Linux fully working for you.

              What I'm saying is plan on easing into Linux somewhat. I mean you can just go whole hog, but I'd imagine going that route could be somewhat stressful. Before you even start running Linux I'd recommend you read a bit about the topic first. Reading the right things could give you some perspective on the matter.

              I know that is what I did, and I feel it helped me out to some extent. I read something along these lines:

              http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

              That should serve as a decent introduction.

              Stick with Linux because once you've learned enough to have some mastery of the system I think you'll be pretty impressed. I know I am.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 10, 2013
                hello
                my advice
                I am Linux beginner