re: client /server relatiionship in linux

  • Joe PM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2013
      I come from a windows tech background. I am having a hard time understanding Linux client / server setup as a total concept.
      Do you create useers on the server then login from a client with that id and password? Or are linux servers just for file sharing like ftp and user id's are only created on the clients?
      Thanks for any enlightenment...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2013
        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 09:07:21PM -0000, Joe PM wrote:
        > I come from a windows tech background. I am having a hard time understanding Linux client / server setup as a total concept.
        > Do you create useers on the server then login from a client with that id and password? Or are linux servers just for file sharing like ftp and user id's are only created on the clients?
        > Thanks for any enlightenment...

        It is really a case by case basis. There is no clear cut Active Directory
        equivalent. One can use, however, LDAP, samba, or combinations of the two
        to do something similar, where a user logs into a server, and is then given
        access to various resources.

        So...you can create create users on the server, for the client to use for
        authentication. Even an FTP server will have users configured on the
        server, and the client must authenticate against the server's user
        database.

        For a client to access a server, it must have a set of credentials known by
        the server.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2013
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Joe PM" <jpmcsale@...> wrote:

          > I come from a windows tech background. I am having a hard time understanding Linux client / server setup as a total concept.
          > Do you create useers on the server then login from a client with that id and password? Or are linux servers just for file sharing like ftp and user id's are only created on the clients?
          > Thanks for any enlightenment...

          Any Linux system running X Window as their GUI is a client server system. Because X Window runs as a server and X sessions are network connections. I think they did it like that historically simply because UNIX style OSes run servers so well so it turned out to be easy to do, or something. Plus long ago machines powerful enough to run X Window were scarce so remote X sessions were more common than they are today.

          For whatever reason, perhaps because it still works so well, X is still a server. As for why there are multiple accounts that is because UNIX style OSes are also multi user systems. They always have been. Today with a personal desktop system it is of little consequence. A lot of distributions do not even allow a straight root login so your user account is the only one that you can practically access. I don't consider "su" actually being a user, but masquerading temporarily as one. Whether that is technically correct or not I don't care, it is just how I see it.

          Because so many programs use http as their help now you're likely going to be running a web server just so you have help in programs. Something that I find rather annoying but oh well I guess.