Re: [LINUX_Newbies] sudo do-relaese-upgrade -d

  • C. Beck
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23 1:00 PM
      If you can identify the relevant program in the command, you can find their
      man pages and answer many of these questions quickly. In this case, you
      have two programs working in each command and one option on the second
      program in each. Sudo is the first. do-release-upgrade and apt-get are the
      other two. So to find your answers from the command line, you can use the
      "man" program to bring up the manual pages, or search for them on the web
      by entering "man+program-name" into google.

      From the command line:
      >> man do-release-upgrade

      >> man apt-get

      From there you will probably read that do-release-upgrade will upgrade your
      system to the newest version it can find. I think that is a program
      specific to Ubuntu if I am not mistaken. apt-get dist-upgrade will read
      from your /etc/sources file and will update all new packages, and where
      necessary, install and/or remove old dependecies. apt-get dist-upgrade
      should not change OS versions unless you specifically update your sources
      to a new repository, if I remember right.

      Hope that helps. Just so you know, I will probably not be available to
      answer any follow up questions if you have them. Best~

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2013
        Sa Jun 01 15:25:18 2013
        Good afternoon
        Thank You for help.

        This command is connected to Ubuntu.
        One question more:

        Can
        this command update

        a 12.10 to 13.04
        or also 11.4. t0 13.04.

        b Can I use this command every week
        and then Xubuntu is updated and every six months there is a new Xubuntu?

        If you can identify the relevant program in the command, you can find their
        man pages and answer many of these questions quickly. In this case, you
        have two programs working in each command and one option on the second
        program in each. Sudo is the first. do-release-upgrade and apt-get are the
        other two. So to find your answers from the command line, you can use the
        "man" program to bring up the manual pages, or search for them on the web
        by entering "man+program-name" into google.

        >From the command line:
        >> man do-release-upgrade

        >> man apt-get

        >From there you will probably read that do-release-upgrade will upgrade
        your
        system to the newest version it can find. I think that is a program
        specific to Ubuntu if I am not mistaken. apt-get dist-upgrade will read
        from your /etc/sources file and will update all new packages, and where
        necessary, install and/or remove old dependecies. apt-get dist-upgrade
        should not change OS versions unless you specifically update your sources
        to a new repository, if I remember right.

        Hope that helps. Just so you know, I will probably not be available to
        answer any follow up questions if you have them. Best~

        Maybe
        I ask stupid questions
        but
        I thought
        sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-upgrade
        will update my Xubuntu.
        But this did not work
        so I have to do:

        sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf