sudo do-relaese-upgrade -d

    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2013
      sudo do-relaese-upgrade -d

      Do Mai 23 08:02:09 2013
      Good morning
      What does mean

      sudo do-release-upgrade -d

      I tried searching
      but I could not find.
      Is there a diffenrence to

      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade?

      Regards
      Sophie
    • C. Beck
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2013
        If you can identify the relevant program in the command, you can find their
        man pages and answer many of these questions quickly. In this case, you
        have two programs working in each command and one option on the second
        program in each. Sudo is the first. do-release-upgrade and apt-get are the
        other two. So to find your answers from the command line, you can use the
        "man" program to bring up the manual pages, or search for them on the web
        by entering "man+program-name" into google.

        From the command line:
        >> man do-release-upgrade

        >> man apt-get

        From there you will probably read that do-release-upgrade will upgrade your
        system to the newest version it can find. I think that is a program
        specific to Ubuntu if I am not mistaken. apt-get dist-upgrade will read
        from your /etc/sources file and will update all new packages, and where
        necessary, install and/or remove old dependecies. apt-get dist-upgrade
        should not change OS versions unless you specifically update your sources
        to a new repository, if I remember right.

        Hope that helps. Just so you know, I will probably not be available to
        answer any follow up questions if you have them. Best~

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2013
          Sa Jun 01 15:25:18 2013
          Good afternoon
          Thank You for help.

          This command is connected to Ubuntu.
          One question more:

          Can
          this command update

          a 12.10 to 13.04
          or also 11.4. t0 13.04.

          b Can I use this command every week
          and then Xubuntu is updated and every six months there is a new Xubuntu?

          If you can identify the relevant program in the command, you can find their
          man pages and answer many of these questions quickly. In this case, you
          have two programs working in each command and one option on the second
          program in each. Sudo is the first. do-release-upgrade and apt-get are the
          other two. So to find your answers from the command line, you can use the
          "man" program to bring up the manual pages, or search for them on the web
          by entering "man+program-name" into google.

          >From the command line:
          >> man do-release-upgrade

          >> man apt-get

          >From there you will probably read that do-release-upgrade will upgrade
          your
          system to the newest version it can find. I think that is a program
          specific to Ubuntu if I am not mistaken. apt-get dist-upgrade will read
          from your /etc/sources file and will update all new packages, and where
          necessary, install and/or remove old dependecies. apt-get dist-upgrade
          should not change OS versions unless you specifically update your sources
          to a new repository, if I remember right.

          Hope that helps. Just so you know, I will probably not be available to
          answer any follow up questions if you have them. Best~

          Maybe
          I ask stupid questions
          but
          I thought
          sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-upgrade
          will update my Xubuntu.
          But this did not work
          so I have to do:

          sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf