Re: [LINUX_Newbies] FTP with GFTP and ZIP

    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2013
      Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
      Good morning
      Thank You for help.

      Good morning, Sophie.
      Yes, there are various tools for this.
      One very simple is "iptraf" (realtime - it's a text mode dialog).
      Another one is the "mrtg" (almost realtime - web - more professional).
      And in graphical mode (KDE and GNOME) is the "screenlet".
      *
      I open the softwarecenter.
      I can see iptraf.
      I can see mrtg.
      I cannot see screenlet.

      Questions.
      I do not understand the description
      but as linuxbeginner
      I think mrtg is the best.

      There is a router.
      There is phonecompany and line.
      After the router there are two linux computers.
      What does mrtg count:
      Traffic going to this computer.
      Traffic going through the router to both computers?

      Regards
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2013
        Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
        Good morning
        Thank You for help.

        On 08/05/13 07:27, highskywhy@... wrote:
        > Good morning
        > How can I upload
        > with gftp
        > my homepage
        > like this
        >
        > I have a zip fileo
        > and I want to upload it and then unpack it.

        Most on line web services do not allow you to do this.
        *
        Can I ask why?

        Example:
        I want to upload 50 small htm files and 60 pics in jpg
        do I have to upload one by one?

        mostly you will
        have to unzip it localy and then ftp the whole lot to your space.
        *
        But then it is a lot of work
        isnt it?
        Is there ftp in Linux using the terminal without gui?

        > And the other way:
        > How can I download my homepage and zip it in a zip file.

        FTP commands you could find useful
        ascii -- treat everything as ascii
        binary -- treat all fles as binaries
        auto -- detect and switch between ascii and binary on a file by file basis
        mget and mput to do all files at once

        then zip as usual

        *
        Thank You.

        > Can I also do this with Firefox?
        Sort of you need to install a ftp extension. I would try a good ftp
        client filezilla is about the best.

        You can replace the http:// bit with FTP:// as well, not a lot of people
        know that.
        *
        But Firefox using the extension cannot upload and unpack zip files, isn
        t it?

        Regards

        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2013