FTP with GFTP and ZIP

    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2013
      Good morning
      How can I upload
      with gftp
      my homepage
      like this

      I have a zip file
      and I want to upload it and then unpack it.

      And the other way:
      How can I download my homepage and zip it in a zip file.

      Can I also do this with Firefox?

      Regards
      Sophie
    • Trevor Pearson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2013
        On 08/05/13 07:27, highskywhy@... wrote:
        > Good morning
        > How can I upload
        > with gftp
        > my homepage
        > like this
        >
        > I have a zip fileo
        > and I want to upload it and then unpack it.

        Most on line web services do not allow you to do this. mostly you will
        have to unzip it localy and then ftp the whole lot to your space.

        > And the other way:
        > How can I download my homepage and zip it in a zip file.

        FTP commands you could find useful
        ascii -- treat everything as ascii
        binary -- treat all fles as binaries
        auto -- detect and switch between ascii and binary on a file by file basis
        mget and mput to do all files at once

        then zip as usual

        > Can I also do this with Firefox?
        Sort of you need to install a ftp extension. I would try a good ftp
        client filezilla is about the best.

        You can replace the http:// bit with FTP:// as well, not a lot of people
        know that.

        Trev.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2013
          Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
          Good morning
          Thank You for help.

          Good morning, Sophie.
          Yes, there are various tools for this.
          One very simple is "iptraf" (realtime - it's a text mode dialog).
          Another one is the "mrtg" (almost realtime - web - more professional).
          And in graphical mode (KDE and GNOME) is the "screenlet".
          *
          I open the softwarecenter.
          I can see iptraf.
          I can see mrtg.
          I cannot see screenlet.

          Questions.
          I do not understand the description
          but as linuxbeginner
          I think mrtg is the best.

          There is a router.
          There is phonecompany and line.
          After the router there are two linux computers.
          What does mrtg count:
          Traffic going to this computer.
          Traffic going through the router to both computers?

          Regards
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2013
            Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
            Good morning
            Thank You for help.

            On 08/05/13 07:27, highskywhy@... wrote:
            > Good morning
            > How can I upload
            > with gftp
            > my homepage
            > like this
            >
            > I have a zip fileo
            > and I want to upload it and then unpack it.

            Most on line web services do not allow you to do this.
            *
            Can I ask why?

            Example:
            I want to upload 50 small htm files and 60 pics in jpg
            do I have to upload one by one?

            mostly you will
            have to unzip it localy and then ftp the whole lot to your space.
            *
            But then it is a lot of work
            isnt it?
            Is there ftp in Linux using the terminal without gui?

            > And the other way:
            > How can I download my homepage and zip it in a zip file.

            FTP commands you could find useful
            ascii -- treat everything as ascii
            binary -- treat all fles as binaries
            auto -- detect and switch between ascii and binary on a file by file basis
            mget and mput to do all files at once

            then zip as usual

            *
            Thank You.

            > Can I also do this with Firefox?
            Sort of you need to install a ftp extension. I would try a good ftp
            client filezilla is about the best.

            You can replace the http:// bit with FTP:// as well, not a lot of people
            know that.
            *
            But Firefox using the extension cannot upload and unpack zip files, isn
            t it?

            Regards

            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2013