Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How can I clean a PC when I want do delete a program.

  • pmooney22
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
      apt-get remove evolution?? will remove the program evolution.

      if any other programs depend on it you will be notified.

      If evolution is removed and there are any programs that no longer needed, apt-get autoremove will remove those.

      You will also be notified if any directories were not removed because they were empty, giving you the opportunity to delete them yourself.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2013
        Do Mai 02 11:35:18 2013
        Good morning.
        Thank You for Email and help.

        Perhaps Janitor or Bleachbit can help?
        *
        Can You explain this to me, please.
        Are these cleaning tools?

        I tend to back-up my data and re-install or upgrade the Linux install
        I've broken, unless Puppy or some other Linux Live CD can clean it up.
        Joan in Reno
        *
        Why should I update Linux or Xubuntu
        for remove a program?

        Regards
        Sophie

        QUESTION:

        Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] How can I clean a PC when I want do delete a
        program.
        To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 11:37 PM

        Fr Apr 26 08:19:33 2013
        Good morning
        Question:
        How to delete a progamm in Linux.
        Example:
        sudo apt-get install evolution.
        OK.
        Then I destroyed something in evolution.
        I did a backup and this destroyed the directories.
        So I want to clean PC from evolution and then install again.
        sudo apt-get remove evolution.
        BUT
        after install again evolution
        there was the dirt from before.
        I think
        it is the same problem like windows.
        Linux is creating many files like registry and I have to clean them also.
        How can I clean a PC when I want do delete a program.

        I did it with terminal
        and also with gui.

        Regards
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2013
          Do Mai 02 11:35:18 2013
          Good morning.
          Thank You for Email and help.

          Am 26.04.2013 09:43, schrieb Ray Kornele:> After the remove, you need to run

          > sudo apt-get autoremove
          *
          What does this tool do.
          Example: I want to delete evolution.
          Does this tool only delete evolution-parts
          or does this tool delete all broken software?

          > This will purge any unused programs and modules from the system.
          *
          Can this damage Linux or Xubuntu?

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2013
            Do Mai 02 11:35:18 2013
            Good morning.
            Thank You for Email and help.

            Good morning

            To update your system, run

            aptitude update
            followed by

            aptitude dist-upgrade

            Thank You for help.
            I am using Xubuntu (Debian based)

            What is the difference
            between

            sudo apt-get update
            and
            suso aptitude update?

            aptitude purge evolution
            *
            What is the difference
            sudo apt-get purge evolution
            and
            sudo apt-get remove purge evolution?

            Should I use also:

            > sudo apt-get autoremove
            ?

            Word is to use aptitude today. Read it for yourself here:

            http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-uptodate.en.html
            *
            Thank You
            I read it.

            Note this line in particular:

            "aptitude is the recommended package manager for Debian GNU/Linux systems."

            apt-get is yesterday's utility so get with the times.
            *
            So it is better to use
            aptitude update
            and avoid apt-get update
            ?

            Regards
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2013
              Do Mai 02 11:35:18 2013
              Good morning.
              Thank You for Email and help.

              apt-get remove evolution?? will remove the program evolution.
              *
              I did this.
              But there are tools on the hd
              so when I did install evolution again
              the folders are destroyed.
              So as a beginner
              I thought
              there must be evolution folders on the hd after
              remove
              and
              remove purge
              also.

              if any other programs depend on it you will be notified.
              *
              What does this mean?

              If evolution is removed and there are any programs that no longer
              needed, apt-get autoremove will remove those.
              *
              What does
              apt-get autoremove.
              Can I destroy Xubuntu with this?

              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2013
                Good morning
                Thank You for help
                Mi Mai 08 08:55:10 2013

                utoremove removes program modules not being used by any process still
                installed.
                *
                Can I destroy something?

                RTemoving a program does not remove associated program module installed
                for support. Autoremove gets rid of unused modules.
                *
                Is RTemoving another cleaning tool?

                Regards
                Sophie