Re: Koppix 5.1.1 ISO on CD- Hang Looking for CD in: /dev/hdb

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "desco" <desco1kr@...> wrote:

      > Intel DG31 PR main Bd 2 GB mem, CPU=I Pent4, E5200@... GHz
      > Boots and runs XP Pro SP3
      > Goes to boot prompt, enter boots to screen"
      > Running Linux Kernel 2.6.19.
      > Total memory available: 2063104kB
      > Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdb [FX320S]
      > Looking for CD in: /dev/hdb
      > Hangs for 12 hrs + Manual abort at that point.
      > any suggestions?

      First off don't try to boot for 12 hours. Patience is one thing, but at some point it turns into pathetic. You crossed that line with about 11 hours and 55 minutes to spare.

      Someone here

      http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/26153-Knoppix-bootup-stop-at-Enabling-DMA-acceleration...-qu

      suggests

      at the boot prompt type "knoppix nodma"

      Can't hurt to try that. Could be an issue that Knoppix is aware of they're doing that they have a ready made fix for. I've no practical experience with it myself though. I never ran Knoppix.
    • Ken (desco) Ramsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2013
        The "knoppix nodma" on the boot line did the trick. Up to the point that my
        monitor does not support the video settings of the CD.
        Thanks for the tip.

        > Goes to boot prompt, enter boots to screen"
        > Running Linux Kernel 2.6.19.
        > Total memory available: 2063104kB
        > Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdb [FX320S]
        > Looking for CD in: /dev/hdb
        > Hangs for 12 hrs + Manual abort at that point.
        > any suggestions?

        First off don't try to boot for 12 hours. Patience is one thing, but at some
        point it turns into pathetic. You crossed that line with about 11 hours and
        55 minutes to spare.

        Someone here

        http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/26153-Knoppix-bootup-stop-at-Enabling-DMA-a
        cceleration...-qu

        suggests

        at the boot prompt type "knoppix nodma"

        Can't hurt to try that. Could be an issue that Knoppix is aware of they're
        doing that they have a ready made fix for. I've no practical experience with
        it myself though. I never ran Knoppix.

        Groups Links
      • Chad Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2013

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2013
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ken \(desco\) Ramsey" <desco1kr@...> wrote:

            > The "knoppix nodma" on the boot line did the trick. Up to the point that my
            > monitor does not support the video settings of the CD.
            > Thanks for the tip.

            Strike two huh? At this point you may wish to consider perhaps making a custom image to use. There are a lot of tools available today compared to when Knoppix first came out. This is one you might want to look at:

            http://live.debian.net/devel/live-build/

            Knoppix may even offer something similar so you don't have to enter a million cheatcodes just to run a session.