Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: How many Indian Languages in Linux

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:17:58AM -0000, mahesh.sk88 wrote:
      > Thanks a lot guys...

      Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu is written with
      Arabic letters, and every distro I know supports that.

      Wicca girl: We come together, daughters of Gaia, sisters to the
      moon. We walk with the darkness, the wolf at our side. Through the
      waterfall of power, to the blackest heart of eternity. I think we
      should have a bake sale.
    • jerry_mccarthy_uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
        > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
        > supports that.

        That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
        etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
        try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.

        Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
        letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu and scroll down to Urdu script
        will clarify....

        Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
          On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:19:37AM -0000, jerry_mccarthy_uk wrote:
          > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
          > > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
          > > supports that.
          > >

          > That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
          > etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
          > try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.
          >
          > Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
          > letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

          Thank you Jerry, I just added to my knowledge. :)

          Xander: Well, I guess that makes it official. Everybody's paired
          off. Vampires get dates. Hell, even the school librarian sees
          more action than me.