Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How many Indian Languages in Linux

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
      On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:37:30PM -0700, Justin Bell wrote:
      > I hope somebody has got back to you by now.
      >
      > Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure if your question refers to American Indian Languages
      > -  or Languages from the Asian Continent like Hindi or Sancript?

      Judging from the .in suffix, I'm guessing Indian as the original, the
      subcontinent of Asia.

      > I think the answer to question will depend on what version of Linux you are interested in - like Ubuntu or Fedora etc.

      I think Justin is probably correct here. I know that Fedora has support
      for many languages. At work, I know someone who uses Tamil, (not sure if
      that is used in India proper), someone else writes in Urdu, though somewhat
      ironically I know of no one here using Hindi.

      A quick search of Indian languages Fedora, brings me to this page

      http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/11/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-International_Language_Support.html

      Towards the end of the page is section 4.4.4 which lists

      Gujarati
      Hindi
      Kannada
      Kashmiri
      Konkani
      Maithili
      Marathi
      Nepali
      Punjabi
      Sindhi
      Telugu

      (I don't see Urdu listed there--the friend who uses Tamil and the one who
      uses Urdu both use Ubuntu).

      Hope this helps a little. I would guess that most of the major Indian
      language groups are supported.

      Giles: You never train with me anymore. He's gonna kick your ass.
    • mahesh.sk88
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Thanks a lot guys...

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:17:58AM -0000, mahesh.sk88 wrote:
          > Thanks a lot guys...

          Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu is written with
          Arabic letters, and every distro I know supports that.

          Wicca girl: We come together, daughters of Gaia, sisters to the
          moon. We walk with the darkness, the wolf at our side. Through the
          waterfall of power, to the blackest heart of eternity. I think we
          should have a bake sale.
        • jerry_mccarthy_uk
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
            --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

            > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
            > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
            > supports that.

            That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
            etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
            try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.

            Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
            letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu and scroll down to Urdu script
            will clarify....

            Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
              On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:19:37AM -0000, jerry_mccarthy_uk wrote:
              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
              > > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
              > > supports that.
              > >

              > That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
              > etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
              > try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.
              >
              > Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
              > letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

              Thank you Jerry, I just added to my knowledge. :)

              Xander: Well, I guess that makes it official. Everybody's paired
              off. Vampires get dates. Hell, even the school librarian sees
              more action than me.