How many Indian Languages in Linux

  • mahesh.sk88
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hi, i m Mahesh
      Can anybody help me out with this ques?
      How many Indian Languages does Linux support?

      Thanks
    • Justin Bell
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
        I hope somebody has got back to you by now.

        Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure if your question refers to American Indian Languages
        -  or Languages from the Asian Continent like Hindi or Sancript?

        I think the answer to question will depend on what version of Linux you are interested in - like Ubuntu or Fedora etc.

        Justin

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
          On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:37:30PM -0700, Justin Bell wrote:
          > I hope somebody has got back to you by now.
          >
          > Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure if your question refers to American Indian Languages
          > -  or Languages from the Asian Continent like Hindi or Sancript?

          Judging from the .in suffix, I'm guessing Indian as the original, the
          subcontinent of Asia.

          > I think the answer to question will depend on what version of Linux you are interested in - like Ubuntu or Fedora etc.

          I think Justin is probably correct here. I know that Fedora has support
          for many languages. At work, I know someone who uses Tamil, (not sure if
          that is used in India proper), someone else writes in Urdu, though somewhat
          ironically I know of no one here using Hindi.

          A quick search of Indian languages Fedora, brings me to this page

          http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/11/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-International_Language_Support.html

          Towards the end of the page is section 4.4.4 which lists

          Gujarati
          Hindi
          Kannada
          Kashmiri
          Konkani
          Maithili
          Marathi
          Nepali
          Punjabi
          Sindhi
          Telugu

          (I don't see Urdu listed there--the friend who uses Tamil and the one who
          uses Urdu both use Ubuntu).

          Hope this helps a little. I would guess that most of the major Indian
          language groups are supported.

          Giles: You never train with me anymore. He's gonna kick your ass.
        • mahesh.sk88
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
            Thanks a lot guys...

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
              On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:17:58AM -0000, mahesh.sk88 wrote:
              > Thanks a lot guys...

              Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu is written with
              Arabic letters, and every distro I know supports that.

              Wicca girl: We come together, daughters of Gaia, sisters to the
              moon. We walk with the darkness, the wolf at our side. Through the
              waterfall of power, to the blackest heart of eternity. I think we
              should have a bake sale.
            • jerry_mccarthy_uk
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
                > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
                > supports that.

                That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
                etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
                try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.

                Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
                letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu and scroll down to Urdu script
                will clarify....

                Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
                  On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 08:19:37AM -0000, jerry_mccarthy_uk wrote:
                  > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Also, after speaking with my friend, he mentioned that Urdu
                  > > is written with Arabic letters, and every distro I know
                  > > supports that.
                  > >

                  > That is not quite true; it is on a par with saying that French, German,
                  > etc are written with English letters - true at one level, until you
                  > try to write something with an acute accent, umlaut, etc.
                  >
                  > Urdu is written in an extended form of the Arabic alphabet; it has
                  > letters which you might not find in an Arabic character set.

                  Thank you Jerry, I just added to my knowledge. :)

                  Xander: Well, I guess that makes it official. Everybody's paired
                  off. Vampires get dates. Hell, even the school librarian sees
                  more action than me.