Re: [LINUX_Newbies] LILO Boot 2 SATA's??

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      Can you use the motherboard's BIOS to select which hard drive to boot? Otherwise, I've used the Hiren's Boot CD or PLoP Live CD to select which hard drive to boot. With so many distros moving to GRUB 1 or 2, I haven't read that much about Lilo lately.
      Joan in Reno

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
        On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 09:33:44PM -0400, petem001@... wrote:
        > why Lilo?? did you try grub?

        Thanks for your reply: Yes, both Grub1 and Grub2.. No Joy either..
        Many think LILO best and Slackware defaults to it..

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
          On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 07:05:29PM -0700, Joan Leach wrote: Can you use the
          > motherboard's BIOS to select which hard drive to boot? Otherwise, I've
          > used the Hiren's Boot CD or PLoP Live CD to select which hard drive to
          > boot. With so many distros moving to GRUB 1 or 2, I haven't read that much
          > about Lilo lately. Joan in Reno

          Thanks for your reply: The PATA MB's BIOS supports a select boot for
          either HD0 or HD1.. This SATA MB only allows selecting HD no number
          designation.. It almost looks like SATA is like M$ in that it requires SATA
          1 for booting.. Plus the boot order is different in that USB is not a
          selection but hard coded and working.. Different to my eyes.. :^)..
          Trying PLoP, SBM and other rescue disks that allow a 3rd party select;
          all fail after what seems like a normal boot but isn't.. I've not tried
          "Hiren," not familiar with it.. Will look that up..
          I suspect most like Grub for the simple reason that LILO requires
          running lilo after editing lilo.conf.. Grub doesn't require this but is
          much more complicated otherwise.. IMHO..We're having fun, eh?? Thanks
          again..