What is bat com exe in Linux?

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
      Sa Mär 16 19:55:28 2013
      Good evening

      Question:
      What is bat com exe in Linux?

      What is the name of these filetypes in Linux.
      I think sh and bat is the same?

      Regards
      Sophie
    • Trevor Pearson
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
        On 16/03/13 19:03, highskywhy@... wrote:

        > Sa Mär 16 19:55:28 2013
        > Good evening
        >
        > Question:
        > What is bat com exe in Linux?
        >
        > What is the name of these filetypes in Linux.
        > I think sh and bat is the same?
        >

        > Regards
        > Sophie

        Hi,

        These are just extensions to the filename that in Windows are used to
        determine the type of file, under Linux there is no real connection
        between what you name a file and what type of file it is, or how you can
        use it.

        a bat file is a plain text file containing msdos type commands as you
        might type into a command shell. In Linux these are called shell scripts
        and generaly start with a special line called the hash bang which looks
        something like-----
        #!/bin/bash

        the symbols #! are special and tell the system to use the following
        program to run the file '/bin/bash' is one of many programs you can use
        and is the program you use as a command shell.

        Conventionally people do add 'sh' to these files but anything is fine,
        .shell, .bash, .csh, .ksh are also used. You will also see programs for
        some languages using this perl, python, ruby and awk

        a com is a command file and works in much the same way

        An exe is an executable program, under linux any file can be marked as
        executable (including shell scripts), every file has a set of
        'permissions' attached to it, you can see them by typing ls -al at a
        command prompt, one is called the execute permission or 'x'. you can set
        it by typing chmod +x filename. this will make any file executable.

        when you try to run a program (a file with it's execute permission bit
        set) the shell looks at it to deternmine what type of file it is, if it
        is text and contains a #! it passes the file to the named program,
        otherwise if it is a binary file (a program) it loads and ececutes it.

        Trev.
      • Cameron Simpson
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 16, 2013
          On 16Mar2013 20:03, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
          | What is bat com exe in Linux?
          |
          | What is the name of these filetypes in Linux.
          | I think sh and bat is the same?

          Please be more verbose in your questions. I'm making a lot of guesses
          here about what you might actually mean.

          In Windows and MSDOS .bat files are script files containing commands
          for the normal scripting command (COMMAND.COM, CMD.EXE? No real
          idea - I try not to touch Windows).

          On a UNIX system, the standard command interpreter is /bin/sh (every
          UNIX system has that). The syntax is very different (and much better)
          than the syntax in a DOS .bat file.

          Many users run a command shell compatible with /bin/sh (i.e. accepting
          the same commands and syntax) but with extra extensions for usability
          (command line editing, command history etc). Such command shells
          include zsh and bash.

          Executable files in UNIX usually DO NOT have externsions like ".sh"
          and so forth. The kernel inspects them when someone tries to execute
          them and decides what to do. They may be shell scripts (or script
          in other languages as specified by their opening "#!" line) or
          compiled executables.

          A UNIX command compiled to machine code will usually be the equivalent
          to a DOS .exe file.
          --
          Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

          Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza.
          See who shows up first. - J. Snyder _A Nation of Cowards_
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
            Good afternoon
            Do Mär 21 13:34:19 2013
            Thank You for help.

            > What is bat com exe in Linux?

            These are just extensions to the filename that in Windows are used to
            determine the type of file, under Linux there is no real connection
            between what you name a file and what type of file it is, or how you can
            use it.
            *
            I know
            I can name a jpg file to a.txt and I can open it with gimp as jpg.
            I try to describe the problem.
            For example:
            I am creating with a compiler a executable program.
            How does it look?

            a bat file is a plain text file containing msdos type commands as you
            might type into a command shell.
            *
            Yes.
            Is it called doit.SH
            ?

[...]

            This I did not understand.

            Example:
            I am creating in DOS a programe in Pascal.
            I call it doit.pas.
            Then I compile it and there is a file calles doit.exe.

            Now I call doit.exe and it is running.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
              Good afternoon
              Do Mär 21 13:34:19 2013
              Thank You for help.

              Executable files in UNIX usually DO NOT have externsions like ".sh"
              and so forth. The kernel inspects them when someone tries to execute
              them and decides what to do. They may be shell scripts (or script
              in other languages as specified by their opening "#!" line) or
              compiled executables.
              *
              OK

              A UNIX command compiled to machine code will usually be the equivalent
              to a DOS .exe file.
              *

              Is there a usual name like exe or com
              example
              doit.pas was compiled with Freepascal.

              Regards

              Sophie
            • Trevor Pearson
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013

                > An exe is an executable program, under linux any file can be marked as
                > executable (including shell scripts), every file has a set of
                > 'permissions' attached to it, you can see them by typing ls -al at a
                > command prompt, one is called the execute permission or 'x'. you can set
                > it by typing chmod +x filename. this will make any file executable.
                > *
                > This I did not understand.
                >
                > Example:
                > I am creating in DOS a programe in Pascal.
                > I call it doit.pas.
                > Then I compile it and there is a file calles doit.exe.
                >
                > Now I call doit.exe and it is running.

                Hi,

                Pretty much the same process under linux, you write the pascal in a file
                called doit.pas and then compile it. Most compilers on linux (gcc, fpc,
                gpc) support an option to name the output file. This is because often
                unixy programs push there output to the screen (stdout) so that it can
                be used with all the standard cli tools. The compilers often output the
                compiled program into a file called a.out which is executable (you just
                type ./a.out and it runs. So if you add an option to the compiler line
                "-odoit" it will output the compiled file as doit which you run by
                typing "./doit"
                eg.
                fpc doit.pas -odoit
                ./doit

                As linux does not really care about file extensions there is no reason
                not to add a '.exe' or whatever to the end but it is not necessary.
                eg.
                fpc doit.pas -odoit.exe
                ./doit.exe

                The only thing to go wrong is a file not being executable, you get a
                permission denied message and need to type:-
                chmod +x doit (doit.exe)

                Hope this clarifies things a little

                Trev.
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 28, 2013
                  Do Mär 28 19:19:49 2013
                  Good evening.
                  Thank You for help.

                  > An exe is an executable program, under linux any file can be marked as
                  > executable (including shell scripts), every file has a set of
                  > 'permissions' attached to it, you can see them by typing ls -al at a
                  > command prompt, one is called the execute permission or 'x'. you can set
                  > it by typing chmod +x filename. this will make any file executable.
                  > *
                  > This I did not understand.
                  >
                  > Example:
                  > I am creating in DOS a programe in Pascal.
                  > I call it doit.pas.
                  > Then I compile it and there is a file calles doit.exe.
                  >
                  > Now I call doit.exe and it is running.

                  Hi,

                  Pretty much the same process under linux, you write the pascal in a file
                  called doit.pas and then compile it.
                  *
                  OK

                  Most compilers on linux (gcc, fpc,
                  gpc) support an option to name the output file.
                  *
                  OK

                  This is because often
                  unixy programs push there output to the screen (stdout) so that it can
                  be used with all the standard cli tools.
                  *
                  OK

                  The compilers often output the
                  compiled program into a file called a.out*
                  YES
                  this I swa:

                  out

                  which is executable (you just
                  type ./a.out and it runs.
                  *
                  OK

                  So if you add an option to the compiler line
                  "-odoit" it will output the compiled file as doit which you run by
                  typing "./doit"
                  eg.
                  fpc doit.pas -odoit
                  ./doit

                  *
                  OK

                  But when I
                  comile with Xubuntu
                  the file doit.pas to doit.out
                  it only is able to run with a Debian Linux.
                  Is this right?

                  As linux does not really care about file extensions
                  *
                  Yes

                  there is no reason
                  not to add a '.exe' or whatever to the end but it is not necessary.
                  eg.
                  fpc doit.pas -odoit.exe
                  ./doit.exe
                  *
                  OK

                  The only thing to go wrong is a file not being executable, you get a
                  permission denied message and need to type:-
                  chmod +x doit (doit.exe)

                  Hope this clarifies things a little
                  *
                  Yes.

                  Thank You.

                  It is like gif

                  I can name pic.gif pic.gif and pic
                  but it is more clear to name it pic.gif
                  for myself.

                  But Gimp can understand pic also.

                  "Gnu Compiler Collection"
                  Is this a good idea to use it as beginner?

                  Regards
                  Sophie
                • Trevor Pearson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 28, 2013

                    > *
                    > OK
                    >
                    > But when I
                    > comile with Xubuntu
                    > the file doit.pas to doit.out
                    > it only is able to run with a Debian Linux.
                    > Is this right?

                    It is a little complex, mostly the program will run on most versions of
                    linux.

                    BUT (There's always a but) your compiler will detect your computers cpu
                    type and compile for that it may produce very plain code which will run
                    on just about any machine but it might not. My development machine is a
                    64 bit/ 8 processor machine and I often target it, the code would not
                    run on a 32 bit machine or a single cpu core. if you have an amd chip
                    you might have problems with intel machines and vice versa

                    If you link to librarys you need to check that they are available on the
                    machine running your program. this is specially true of those librarys
                    that are 'dynamically' linked (.dll in windows, .so in linux)

                    mostly in the linux world programs are distributed either in source form
                    (in a tar ball file ending .tgz) which you unzip then run the old
                    configure / make / make install or as packages (.deb or .rpm) both of
                    which check for all the 'dependencies'

                    > "Gnu Compiler Collection"
                    > Is this a good idea to use it as beginner?

                    Yup, it can be quite simple to use 'gpc myprog.pas -omyprog' on the
                    command line. As you learn more, and your programs get more
                    sophisticated you get more interested in the compiler. Also you can
                    start using simple makefiles and the like. fpc is probably a better
                    pascal compiler specially when coupled with lazarus (the ide)

                    You can usually rely on any linux machine having gcc installed whereas
                    fpc is not as common.

                    Trev.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 10, 2013
                      Mi Apr 10 16:35:29 2013
                      Good evening
                      Thank You for help.

                      > *
                      > OK
                      >
                      > But when I
                      > compile with Xubuntu
                      > the file doit.pas to doit.out
                      > it only is able to run with a Debian Linux.
                      > Is this right?

                      It is a little complex, mostly the program will run on most versions of
                      linux.
                      *
                      How about the big families
                      deb
                      and
                      Fedora?

                      BUT (There's always a but) your compiler will detect your computers cpu
                      type and compile for that it may produce very plain code which will run
                      on just about any machine but it might not.
                      *
                      Does this mean
                      pascalcode.pas
                      tranlated to
                      pascalcode.out
                      is running only the computer
                      where I did compile it?

                      But
                      pascalcode.pas compiled by Doscompiler als pascalcode.out is running
                      on every Dosmachine?

                      My development machine is a
                      64 bit/ 8 processor machine and I often target it, the code would not
                      run on a 32 bit machine or a single cpu core. if you have an amd chip
                      you might have problems with intel machines and vice versa*
                      *
                      How about to compile with 32 bit Linux
                      and then use a 64 bit Linux?

                      If you link to librarys you need to check that they are available on the
                      machine running your program. this is specially true of those librarys
                      that are 'dynamically' linked (.dll in windows, .so in linux)
                      *
                      What is the problem
                      if I do not use libraries
                      also simple commands like write read and so on?

                      mostly in the linux world programs are distributed either in source form
                      (in a tar ball file ending .tgz) which you unzip then run the old
                      configure / make / make install or as packages (.deb or .rpm) both of
                      which check for all the 'dependencies'
                      *
                      Does that mean
                      example
                      Pascal
                      there are distributed source.pas files?

                      > "Gnu Compiler Collection"
                      > Is this a good idea to use it as beginner?
                      Yup, it can be quite simple to use 'gpc myprog.pas -omyprog' on the
                      command line.
                      *
                      OK

                      As you learn more, and your programs get more
                      sophisticated you get more interested in the compiler.
                      *
                      Yes.

                      Also you can
                      start using simple makefiles and the like. fpc is probably a better
                      pascal compiler specially when coupled with lazarus (the ide)
                      *
                      Here in the mailing list
                      some told me
                      Lazarus is better
                      others told me
                      GNU is better.

                      You can usually rely on any linux machine having gcc installed whereas
                      fpc is not as common.
                      Is fpf and Freepascal the same?

                      Regards
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 25, 2013
                        Fr Apr 26 08:19:33 2013
                        Good morning
                        Thank You for help.

                        >> But when I
                        >> compile with Xubuntu
                        >> the file doit.pas to doit.out
                        >> it only is able to run with a Debian Linux.
                        >> Is this right?
                        >>
                        > It is a little complex, mostly the program will run on most versions of
                        > linux.
                        > *
                        > How about the big families
                        > deb
                        > and
                        > Fedora?
                        They are roughly the same underneath at a high level, The major
                        differences probably will not affect your programs, unless you do
                        something like directly call the Kernel (for instance to directly
                        control hardware) or the X server. If as you say later you are using
                        the language high level command (read,write) you'll be fine and your
                        code will run on most any linux.
                        *
                        Question:
                        I was thinking about it.
                        Maybe I am using 32 or 64 Linux distribution.
                        Example: 64.
                        Can a user with 32 use my compiled file?

                        > BUT (There's always a but) your compiler will detect your computers cpu
                        > type and compile for that it may produce very plain code which will run
                        > on just about any machine but it might not.
                        > *
                        > Does this mean
                        > pascalcode.pas
                        > tranlated to
                        > pascalcode.out
                        > is running only the computer
                        > where I did compile it?

                        No, it will run happily on most linux machines if you compiled it on a
                        linux machine.
                        *
                        So there is no problem with
                        Fedora and Debian?

                        > But
                        > pascalcode.pas compiled by Doscompiler als pascalcode.out is running
                        > on every Dosmachine?
                        >
                        > My development machine is a
                        > 64 bit/ 8 processor machine and I often target it, the code would not
                        > run on a 32 bit machine or a single cpu core. if you have an amd chip
                        > you might have problems with intel machines and vice versa*
                        > *
                        > How about to compile with 32 bit Linux
                        > and then use a 64 bit Linux?

                        Should be ok, 64 bit linux contains a set of 32 bit lib's code should
                        just run.
                        if you run fpc -iTP it will tell you what processor it is compiling for
                        fpc -iTO returns the target operating system.
                        *
                        OK

                        > If you link to librarys you need to check that they are available on the
                        > machine running your program. this is specially true of those librarys
                        > that are 'dynamically' linked (.dll in windows, .so in linux)
                        > *
                        > What is the problem
                        > if I do not use libraries
                        > also simple commands like write read and so on?

                        Then you won't encounter any problems
                        *
                        Thank You.

                        > mostly in the linux world programs are distributed either in source form
                        > (in a tar ball file ending .tgz) which you unzip then run the old
                        > configure / make / make install or as packages (.deb or .rpm) both of
                        > which check for all the 'dependencies'
                        > *
                        > Does that mean
                        > example
                        > Pascal
                        > there are distributed source.pas files?

                        Not 100% sure if you are asking, is there any pascal based open source
                        packages out there ?
                        *
                        No
                        Sorry.
                        The question is or the question was
                        Should I send the code
                        program.pas instead of program.out
                        to friends.
                        Is there a common way
                        to send a way that the friend can compile it by himself?

                        yes there are, I can't remember there names of the
                        top of my head but the fpc site used to list them, as did the lazarus site.

                        You can also write your own
                        *
                        Thank You.

                        > Also you can
                        > start using simple makefiles and the like. fpc is probably a better
                        > pascal compiler specially when coupled with lazarus (the ide)
                        > *
                        > Here in the mailing list
                        > some told me
                        > Lazarus is better
                        > others told me
                        > GNU is better.

                        really down to personal preference, since there both free you could try
                        them and pick one.
                        *
                        Thank You for help.

                        Regards
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2 2:54 AM
                          Do Mai 02 11:35:18 2013
                          Good morning.
                          Thank You for Email and help.

                          > Question:
                          > I was thinking about it.
                          > Maybe I am using 32 or 64 Linux distribution.
                          > Example: 64.
                          > Can a user with 32 use my compiled file?
                          Probably not, on a 64 bit machine the compiler is going to produce a
                          64bit binary. You may want to consider using a simple Makefile with
                          make utility to compile different versions
                          *
                          Thank You.

                          > The question is or the question was
                          > Should I send the code
                          > program.pas instead of program.out
                          > to friends.
                          > Is there a common way
                          > to send a way that the friend can compile it by himself?

                          There are two options, send the source 'pas' file and as long as your
                          friend has a pascal compiler he should be able to compile it. It works
                          best if you are both using the same pascal compiler.
                          *
                          OK

                          If all he needs is an executable then check his platform (uname -a) and
                          set up a compile routine to suit, if necessary.
                          *
                          How should I do it
                          when I want to offer
                          software to all users?

                          Regards
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14 11:50 PM
                            Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
                            Good morning
                            Thank You for help.

                            > Trev.
                            >
                            > Thank You for Your friendly help.
                            > It is sounding very complicate.
                            > Should the best way be
                            > to study Java and then upload applets?
                            >
                            > Can linux win mac android chrome and others understand applets?

                            Hi,

                            I had presumed you were working in pascal, if you want an easy option
                            consider something like python, cross platform and architecture independent

                            Yes all platforms can use Java appletts as far as I know, never tried on
                            android/ios .
                            *
                            I do not know python.
                            But can mac and Doswin users understand python?

                            Regards
                            Sophie
                          • Trevor Pearson
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 16 3:37 PM
                              On 15/05/13 07:50, highskywhy@... wrote:

                              > Mi Mai 15 08:48:39 2013
                              > Good morning
                              > Thank You for help.
                              >

                              > > Trev.
                              > >
                              > > Thank You for Your friendly help.
                              > > It is sounding very complicate.
                              > > Should the best way be
                              > > to study Java and then upload applets?
                              > >
                              > > Can linux win mac android chrome and others understand applets?
                              > >

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I had presumed you were working in pascal, if you want an easy option
                              > consider something like python, cross platform and architecture independent
                              >
                              > Yes all platforms can use Java appletts as far as I know, never tried on
                              > android/ios .
                              > *
                              > I do not know python.
                              > But can mac and Doswin users understand python?

                              As far as I know there is no single language/enviroment that is
                              understood and installed by default on all platforms. the closest is
                              C#/Visual-basic on mono/.net. All compiled languages
                              (Pascal,c,c++,fortran etc.) need to be compiled for each platform.
                              This is easyish using make files, you develop on one platform and then
                              release to many.

                              Languages like python, java, C#, perl, basic, ruby etc need a program
                              called an interpreter (Run time) in order to work. you also need to
                              include any 'extras' that you use in your code (python modules, perl
                              cpan) (.net/mono and java use a 'bytecode interpreter, python etc use a
                              traditional style interpreter)

                              Trevor.

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 22 11:16 PM
                                Do Mai 23 07:53:33 2013
                                Good morning.
                                Thank You for help.

                                > > Thank You for Your friendly help.
                                > > It is sounding very complicate.
                                > > Should the best way be
                                > > to study Java and then upload applets?
                                > >
                                > > Can linux win mac android chrome and others understand applets?
                                > >

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I had presumed you were working in pascal,
                                *
                                This is right.
                                Until 2011
                                I was using win and dos
                                and we only did write programs in Pascal,
                                and we shared code in Exe files.
                                Now I am using Linux and
                                so we discuss
                                a to continue using DOS BOX in Linux and Pascal
                                b to change using language and use Javascript and Java.

                                if you want an easy option
                                > consider something like python, cross platform and architecture
                                independent

                                > Yes all platforms can use Java appletts as far as I know, never tried on
                                > android/ios .
                                > *
                                > I do not know python.
                                > But can mac and Doswin users understand python?

                                As far as I know there is no single language/enviroment that is
                                understood and installed by default on all platforms.
                                *
                                Only the applet?

                                the closest is
                                C#/Visual-basic on mono/.net. All compiled languages
                                (Pascal,c,c++,fortran etc.) need to be compiled for each platform.
                                This is easyish using make files, you develop on one platform and then
                                release to many.
                                *
                                I understand.
                                Thank You.

                                The question is
                                is it more easy to study Java?

                                Languages like python, java, C#, perl, basic, ruby etc need a program
                                called an interpreter (Run time) in order to work.
                                *
                                This is different from Delphi or Pascal or Assembler,isnt it.

                                you also need to
                                include any 'extras' that you use in your code (python modules, perl
                                cpan) (.net/mono and java use a 'bytecode interpreter, python etc use a
                                traditional style interpreter)
                                *
                                Second problem are the libraries, isnt it?

                                Regards
                                Sophie
                              • dvdpst
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 23 2:31 AM
                                  If you have been using pascal, then have an look at Glade.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 1, 2013
                                    Sa Jun 01 15:25:18 2013
                                    Good afternoon
                                    Thank You for help.

                                    If you have been using pascal, then have an look at Glade.

                                    I opened wiki and Glade.

                                    Is Glade creating a kind of html code?
                                    It sounds interesting.
                                    I will read more about this.