Re: [LINUX_Newbies] ISP...which one?

  • Brian L. Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2000
      On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Tom Albrecht wrote:

      >Does anyone know if you can connect to any of the free IPS like Freelane or
      >NetZero via Linux?

      Freelane: Never heard of it
      Netzero: You can't. Netzero uses proprietary Windows software, with a
      large number of security routines built in to prevent access without
      the software

      Now for two free ISPs that you can connect to from Linux:

      Freewwweb (http://www.freewwweb.com): They require you to set your
      homepage to http://home.freewwweb.com, which rolls over to
      freeewwweb.snap.com. Limit 80 hours a month connect time, but you can
      create up to 5 accounts with them.

      One Nation Online (http://www.1nol.com): They don't require you to set
      your home page to them, but they ask that you visit that page in your
      session on the honor system. They want you to download and use their
      Windows software, but you don't need it and can get around it like
      this:
      *) In your connection, enter "user@1nol" for your username, where
      "user" is your username, no ".com" or anything like that
      *) For password, enter your chosen password plus "xms", eg,
      if your password is "sugarpop", you enter "sugarpopxms"

      I should note that I am currently connected to 1nol on my Redhat Linux
      box, no problemo :)

      Now if you'd like more info about Free ISPs and community freenets and
      such, there is a page you can visit at
      http://www.nzlist.org/user/freeisp.

      Also, there is a discussion mailing list on Egroups for free internet
      access called FreeNET. You can subscribe by emailing
      freenet-subscribe@egroups.com, or visiting
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/freenet. The FreeNET list's home page
      is at http://freenetlist.cjb.net

      -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
      http://www.blj8.com
      Total Bookmarks in file= 6066
      Bore, n.:
      A guy who wraps up a two-minute idea in a two-hour vocabulary.
      -- Walter Winchell