Re: [LINUX_Newbies] A Cautionary Tale

  • Robert C Wittig
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
      On 2/23/2013 8:46 AM, Paul wrote:

      > Either that or you get reams of Martian
      > looking symbols spit out onto multiple pages. Not a pretty sight!

      Yeah I got one like that too.... sort of aphasic looking.

      It was pretty interesting in a way, so I put a price-tag on it, and it
      actually sold for a small amount:

      http://www.robertwittig.com/2009/full2009_002.html

      --
      http://www.robertwittig.com/
      http://robertwittig.net/
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
        --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:

        > On 2/23/2013 8:46 AM, Paul wrote:
        >
        > > Either that or you get reams of Martian
        > > looking symbols spit out onto multiple pages. Not a pretty sight!
        > >

        > Yeah I got one like that too.... sort of aphasic looking.
        >
        > It was pretty interesting in a way, so I put a price-tag on it, and it
        > actually sold for a small amount:
        >
        > http://www.robertwittig.com/2009/full2009_002.html
        >

        > --
        > http://www.robertwittig.com/
        > http://robertwittig.net/
        > http://robertwittig.org/
        > .

        Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
      • Chris Trask
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013

          >Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
          >me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
          >for something that is worthwhile, Debian.

          And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.

          So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.

          It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.

          Chris
        • Joan Leach
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013

              > > So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with
              Win98/SE
              > > and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have
              a fully
              > > functional laptop.
              > >
              > > It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since
              1968,
              > > starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for
              input/output, then
              > > an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards
              and APL,
              > > then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had
              full
              > > confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.
              >

              > Hello,Did you try some of the Puppy Linux versions to get that modem and
              printer
              > going?Joan in Reno

              Not even going to bother. The documentation for Linux is almost
              non-existent, and I have to be online to get any help at all. Not very
              useful when you can't get online.

              What printer? I never mentioned a printer, just a modem.

              Chris
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

                > >Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
                > >me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
                > >for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
                > >

                > And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.
                >
                > So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.
                >
                > It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.
                >

                > Chris

                Every situation is unique and demands an appropriate solution. Intel is normally pretty good with Linux drivers so I am surprised your hardware is not supported. But modems do get less attention today than they used to. Laptops are especially problematic to get to work because you have less latitude reconfiguring the hardware in them than desktops. I mean if it was a desktop you could just use an external modem and call it a day. That is how I dealt with modems back when I used them. I never wasted my time with internal modems. Then if I was being attacked I could simply hit the power switch on the modem. Which back then was a handy feature. EFnet was a rough place!

                I should get my old US Robotics Sportster X2 56K modem bronzed today or something. Thing was awesome! I can still remember downloading Slackware with the thing, all 128MB of it. It took me three days. After the second day I learned how to use ftp in the non-interactive mode and the command mget *. Then I finally got a little sleep ...
              • pmooney22
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                  When you do manage to get back online take a look at
                  http://www.linmodems.org/

                  I used their drivers some years back when I had a laptop with an
                  internal(software) modem.

                  Plenty of information out there, try the Debian/Mint/Ubuntu wikis, many
                  people have given up a lot of time to help newcomers.

                  P.