A Cautionary Tale

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
      I've been fighting with a system for two days now trying to get it to print. So far I have gotten it to print out a test page, but it won't use the filters when printing from a GUI application, like say Firefox. All of that goes through the system as Post Script, and needs to be presented to printers properly in order to be printed out as one would expect it to be. Either that or you get reams of Martian looking symbols spit out onto multiple pages. Not a pretty sight!

      This isn't my first day at the rodeo so I know somewhat what is supposed to happen. Anyhow, all of this is occurring on a spare laptop that I have, that I want to keep in the kitchen to just web surf and do the occasional print job. So I don't want to spend a whole lot of time setting it up.

      Now with that goal in mind I unwittingly painted myself in a corner by choosing to install Linux Mint onto it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Linux Mint is the most popular Linux distribution going today so how bad can it be? Pretty bad if my recent experiences with it are any indication!

      Anyhow, my tale of woe begins with the installation, unless I pick a selection off of the menu in Unetbootin, I can't just use Unetbootin and an ISO to make a flash drive that will actually run the install. From what I've seen the install keeps fixating on the sr0 device, or optical drive, and refuses to look for an image on the flash drive.

      Figuring I didn't need the latest, or the greatest I just choose a version off of the menu, I want all of this to be easy remember? Yeah well when it came time to install printer drivers easy got off the bus. I noticed when I tried to update repositories I was getting error messages, as if some of the repositories are inactive today.

      OK wiping out that install, burning a DVD, and installing a more current version of Mint fixed that. Now my printer driver I wanted installed, and even printed out a test page. Success!

      Ah no, not so fast there hombre. While the test page did in fact print out beautifully the system refuses to use the correct filters when printing jobs. So what I have is useless to me, unless all I want to do is print out test pages. See, the printer works? It just refuses to print out anything useful that I may want it to.

      I am just about to have a PC LOAD LETTER Office Space moment over here at this point! To make matters even worse in the course of it all the system has even BSODed on me due to another unrelated bug. BSOD (Black, not Blue) on Linux, yeah I know, completely unacceptable. The gory details of what happened there seem to have something to do with NetworkManager and the WiFi driver module. Something else that I am going to have to sort out if the system is to be acceptable.

      Someone remind me why I didn't just install Debian onto this machine? Oh yeah, that's right, I wanted all of this to be easy for a change...
    • pmooney22
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
        Make/Model of printer?

        If it prints the test page what filters do you need?

        Make/Model of wifi?

        Help us to help you.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "pmooney22" <kwacka2@...> wrote:

          > Make/Model of printer?
          >
          > If it prints the test page what filters do you need?
          >
          > Make/Model of wifi?
          >
          > Help us to help you.

          That's OK champ I have it under control here.
        • Robert C Wittig
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
            On 2/23/2013 8:46 AM, Paul wrote:

            > Either that or you get reams of Martian
            > looking symbols spit out onto multiple pages. Not a pretty sight!

            Yeah I got one like that too.... sort of aphasic looking.

            It was pretty interesting in a way, so I put a price-tag on it, and it
            actually sold for a small amount:

            http://www.robertwittig.com/2009/full2009_002.html

            --
            http://www.robertwittig.com/
            http://robertwittig.net/
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:

              > On 2/23/2013 8:46 AM, Paul wrote:
              >
              > > Either that or you get reams of Martian
              > > looking symbols spit out onto multiple pages. Not a pretty sight!
              > >

              > Yeah I got one like that too.... sort of aphasic looking.
              >
              > It was pretty interesting in a way, so I put a price-tag on it, and it
              > actually sold for a small amount:
              >
              > http://www.robertwittig.com/2009/full2009_002.html
              >

              > --
              > http://www.robertwittig.com/
              > http://robertwittig.net/
              > http://robertwittig.org/
              > .

              Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
            • Chris Trask
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013

                >Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
                >me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
                >for something that is worthwhile, Debian.

                And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.

                So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.

                It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.

                Chris
              • Joan Leach
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013

                    > > So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with
                    Win98/SE
                    > > and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have
                    a fully
                    > > functional laptop.
                    > >
                    > > It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since
                    1968,
                    > > starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for
                    input/output, then
                    > > an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards
                    and APL,
                    > > then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had
                    full
                    > > confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.
                    >

                    > Hello,Did you try some of the Puppy Linux versions to get that modem and
                    printer
                    > going?Joan in Reno

                    Not even going to bother. The documentation for Linux is almost
                    non-existent, and I have to be online to get any help at all. Not very
                    useful when you can't get online.

                    What printer? I never mentioned a printer, just a modem.

                    Chris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris Trask <christrask@...> wrote:

                      > >Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
                      > >me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
                      > >for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
                      > >

                      > And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.
                      >
                      > So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.
                      >
                      > It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.
                      >

                      > Chris

                      Every situation is unique and demands an appropriate solution. Intel is normally pretty good with Linux drivers so I am surprised your hardware is not supported. But modems do get less attention today than they used to. Laptops are especially problematic to get to work because you have less latitude reconfiguring the hardware in them than desktops. I mean if it was a desktop you could just use an external modem and call it a day. That is how I dealt with modems back when I used them. I never wasted my time with internal modems. Then if I was being attacked I could simply hit the power switch on the modem. Which back then was a handy feature. EFnet was a rough place!

                      I should get my old US Robotics Sportster X2 56K modem bronzed today or something. Thing was awesome! I can still remember downloading Slackware with the thing, all 128MB of it. It took me three days. After the second day I learned how to use ftp in the non-interactive mode and the command mget *. Then I finally got a little sleep ...
                    • pmooney22
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                        When you do manage to get back online take a look at
                        http://www.linmodems.org/

                        I used their drivers some years back when I had a laptop with an
                        internal(software) modem.

                        Plenty of information out there, try the Debian/Mint/Ubuntu wikis, many
                        people have given up a lot of time to help newcomers.

                        P.