Re: [LINUX_Newbies] External Drive Access

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04:37AM +0000, Trevor Pearson wrote:
      > On 18/02/13 18:20, Chris Trask wrote:
      > >

      > > None of my Windows applications are able to access external storage
      > > media such as flash drives and hard drives. Some can't even access the
      > > CDROM, and for my Topo! software that's an essential as all map dta is
      > > stored on CDROMs and there is zero alternative.
      > >

      > Hi,
      >
      > Are you using wine or is this a windows question ?

      I'm a bit confused on the question too. If you mean why can't the Windows
      devices read Linux partitions, Windows can't read ext4fs, as far as I know,
      unless that's changed. Generally, one uses samba to share something stored
      on Linux with a Windows machine. I have a very dated page that covers that
      a bit, but has some still useful links, at
      http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/samba.html

      Xander: Oh, hey, do you want to come to our place for
      dinner? Mom's making her famous phone call to the Chinese place.
      Willow: Xander, do you guys even have a stove?