External Drive Access

  • Chris Trask
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
      I've managed to solve just about every problem I've encountered by way
      of blogs and FAQ web pages. However, I now have one that I can't seem to
      find a remedy for.

      None of my Windows applications are able to access external storage
      media such as flash drives and hard drives. Some can't even access the
      CDROM, and for my Topo! software that's an essential as all map dta is
      stored on CDROMs and there is zero alternative.

      So, how do you condition the file management system so that all
      applications can access all storage media?

      Chris
    • Trevor Pearson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
        On 18/02/13 18:20, Chris Trask wrote:
        > I've managed to solve just about every problem I've encountered by way
        > of blogs and FAQ web pages. However, I now have one that I can't seem to
        > find a remedy for.
        >
        > None of my Windows applications are able to access external storage
        > media such as flash drives and hard drives. Some can't even access the
        > CDROM, and for my Topo! software that's an essential as all map dta is
        > stored on CDROMs and there is zero alternative.
        >
        > So, how do you condition the file management system so that all
        > applications can access all storage media?
        >
        > Chris

        Hi,

        Are you using wine or is this a windows question ?

        On windows open command.com and type automount if it says 'disabled'
        type 'automount enable'

        On wine the situation is more complex, using wine config you can set a
        file path to a iso image as the cd rom (or under the advanced settings
        point it at the real device.

        Trevor
      • Chris Trask
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013

          >> I've managed to solve just about every problem I've encountered by way
          >> of blogs and FAQ web pages. However, I now have one that I can't seem to
          >> find a remedy for.
          >>
          >> None of my Windows applications are able to access external storage
          >> media such as flash drives and hard drives. Some can't even access the
          >> CDROM, and for my Topo! software that's an essential as all map dta is
          >> stored on CDROMs and there is zero alternative.
          >>
          >> So, how do you condition the file management system so that all
          >> applications can access all storage media?
          >>
          >> Chris
          >>

          >Hi,
          >
          >Are you using wine or is this a windows question ?

          It's probably a Wine question.

          >On windows open command.com and type automount if it says 'disabled'
          >type 'automount enable'
          >
          >On wine the situation is more complex, using wine config you can set a
          >file path to a iso image as the cd rom (or under the advanced settings
          >point it at the real device.

          I may have solved this in a somewhat unusual and less complicated way. I loaded one of my Topo! map CDROMs in the drive, then right-clicked on the "open with another application" and selected Topo! from the list to see if I could access it in reverse. It did open, and as I went from one map set to another I found that I could do so in Topo! instead of doing it in reverse. And it worked properly after I did a full cold restart, so something within Wine got set properly.

          I then tried the same thing with an Excel file on an external hard drive and found that once I had opened a single file from that drive I could access the entire drive. Same with AutoCAD 2000 and a couple of other Windows applications. And it worked just as well with a flash/thumb drive, and again worked fully after a full cold restart.

          I've also learned that the trouble I was having installing some Windows applications had to do with the compatability setting in Wine. In winecfg there's a window for setting the compatability level, and I now have mine set to Win98 as all of my software is for that OS, most of which worked on WinXP. It was initially set to something beyond WinXP.

          Next step is to determine how to run a massive DOS CAD/CAE utility within Linux. There's a Yahoo! group for that software and I'm certain that someone there has already figured it out.

          And I need to determine how to setup internet access by way of a dialup connection. I have the Win7 hard drive installed right now so that I can have dialup access.

          Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
            On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:04:37AM +0000, Trevor Pearson wrote:
            > On 18/02/13 18:20, Chris Trask wrote:
            > >

            > > None of my Windows applications are able to access external storage
            > > media such as flash drives and hard drives. Some can't even access the
            > > CDROM, and for my Topo! software that's an essential as all map dta is
            > > stored on CDROMs and there is zero alternative.
            > >

            > Hi,
            >
            > Are you using wine or is this a windows question ?

            I'm a bit confused on the question too. If you mean why can't the Windows
            devices read Linux partitions, Windows can't read ext4fs, as far as I know,
            unless that's changed. Generally, one uses samba to share something stored
            on Linux with a Windows machine. I have a very dated page that covers that
            a bit, but has some still useful links, at
            http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/samba.html

            Xander: Oh, hey, do you want to come to our place for
            dinner? Mom's making her famous phone call to the Chinese place.
            Willow: Xander, do you guys even have a stove?