Re: [LINUX_Newbies] bin86

  • Trevor Pearson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2013
      On 16/02/13 19:31, highskywhy@... wrote:

      > Sa Feb 16 20:29:13 2013
      > Good evening
      > Is bin86 an interpreter for Assembler in Linux.
      > Can I use it in all distributions?
      > Regards
      > Sophie

      Hi,

      bin86 package contains an assembler which changes assembly into it's
      digital form which can then be executed. It is not interpreted. it can
      be used on all distributions but you need to produce the correct code
      for your processor (s) bin86 produces 32 bit intel code, if you have a
      64 bit processor or AMD it would not produce exactly the right
      code to execute. the GNU tool chain installs the correct assembler /
      linker for your machine automatically and calls them as and ld respectively

      Trev.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
        Mi Feb 27 13:09:48 2013
        Asssembler

        Good afternoon.
        Thank You for help.
        > Sa Feb 16 20:29:13 2013
        > Good evening
        > Is bin86 an interpreter for Assembler in Linux.
        > Can I use it in all distributions?
        > Regards
        > Sophie
        bin86 package contains an assembler which changes assembly into it's
        digital form which can then be executed.
        *
        OK

        It is not interpreted. it can
        be used on all distributions but you need to produce the correct code
        for your processor (s) bin86 produces 32 bit intel code, if you have a
        64 bit processor or AMD it would not produce exactly the right
        code to execute.
        *
        So I cannnot create code for friends
        because every PC needs a special code, isnt it.

        the GNU tool chain installs the correct assembler /
        linker for your machine automatically and calls them as and ld respectively
        *
        Did I understand it right?

        Regards
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
          --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Trevor Pearson <trev15evil@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > bin86 package contains an assembler which changes assembly into it's
          > digital form which can then be executed. It is not interpreted. it can
          > be used on all distributions but you need to produce the correct code
          > for your processor (s) bin86 produces 32 bit intel code, if you have a
          > 64 bit processor or AMD it would not produce exactly the right
          > code to execute. the GNU tool chain installs the correct assembler /
          > linker for your machine automatically and calls them as and ld respectively
          >

          > Trev.

          I don't understand what you mean by, "if you have a 64 bit processor or AMD it would not produce exactly the right code to execute."

          I run 32 bit code on my E5200 and i3 so they are object file compatible with 32 bit CPUs. That tells me that the code generated by a 32 bit assembler is exactly correct for 64 bit x86 processors, and perhaps even for AMD as well.

          "the GNU tool chain installs the correct assembler /linker for your machine automatically"

          That is a bit of a subjective statement. GAS wouldn't be my first choice to use if I was writing assembly code. To each their own though I suppose. When dealing with computers semantics is really all we have so one cannot be too careful. I haven't built GCC in a while myself so even if I could recall all of the gory particulars they may not be true today. But as I remember there was a lot of configuration in order to get anything useful out of it. In any event I would not call it automatic.

          Hmm, no, I wouldn't call this page the essence of simplicity at all:

          http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html