Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Whining About Wine

  • Chris Trask
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013

      > > > I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
      > > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
      > > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
      > > >

      > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
      >
      > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
      > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
      > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.

      !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

      Chris
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
        On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

        > > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
        > >
        > > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
        > > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
        > > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.
        > >

        > !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

        In wine, at least on a 64 bit system, I have $HOME (referring to my home
        directory, for example, if your user name is chris, it would be
        /home/chris, or, depending upon distribution, /usr/home/chris--the home
        directory is also frequently referred to with a tilde, such as ~ to
        represent /home/chris), so at any rate, you should have

        ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

        and, on a 64 bit system

        ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)

        So, it may be in there. If it is, you may be able to run it with

        wine <path_to_application>

        Note that with spaces in a name, it's easier to use tab completion--that
        is, type wine ~/.wine/driv (and hit the tab key, to let completion fill in
        the drive_c)/Prog (hit the tab key to let it fill in the backslash to
        escape the face in the file name, so it will look like

        wine ./wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

        and so on.

        Xander: I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there,
        we'll find, you'll slay, we'll party.
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013
          good morning
          thank You for email.