Re: Whining About Wine

  • chi_joan_pc
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
      > > on the specific applications that I've tried.
      > >
      > > I just run wine file. It will then almost always give
      > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
      > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
      > >
      > > It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
      > > their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
      > > how well they work or don't work.
      > > --
      > > Scott Robbins
      >

      > I had to run a file viewer in Wine once and I found an application called winetricks was helpful in getting it to work for me.
      >
      > http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
      >
      > It didn't make me feel any less dirty though.

      With Mint and a few other Distros, I found PlayOnLinux good for testing those games that wouldn't play on WinXP to run okay. I got CrossOver for free, but haven't tried it yet. I fix other people's Windows computers that I hardly turn on my WinXP or Win7 computers much these days.

      However, I do need to find out if all my old Pinball games work on Wine, etc. Did anyone ever buy the old BigBlue Disks in the DOS and early Window's days? I remember a sort of stick animated thing to watch and wish it was one of the Xscreensavers. I'll have to dig those out of the closet and do a Google search one of these days.

      Joan in Reno
    • Chris Trask
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013

        > > > I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
        > > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
        > > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
        > > >

        > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
        >
        > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
        > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
        > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.

        !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

        Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
          On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

          > > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
          > >
          > > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
          > > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
          > > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.
          > >

          > !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

          In wine, at least on a 64 bit system, I have $HOME (referring to my home
          directory, for example, if your user name is chris, it would be
          /home/chris, or, depending upon distribution, /usr/home/chris--the home
          directory is also frequently referred to with a tilde, such as ~ to
          represent /home/chris), so at any rate, you should have

          ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

          and, on a 64 bit system

          ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)

          So, it may be in there. If it is, you may be able to run it with

          wine <path_to_application>

          Note that with spaces in a name, it's easier to use tab completion--that
          is, type wine ~/.wine/driv (and hit the tab key, to let completion fill in
          the drive_c)/Prog (hit the tab key to let it fill in the backslash to
          escape the face in the file name, so it will look like

          wine ./wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

          and so on.

          Xander: I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there,
          we'll find, you'll slay, we'll party.
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013
            good morning
            thank You for email.