Whining About Wine

  • Chris Trask
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
      I've been trying to install LinuxMint 14.1 and Wine on a Dell laptop.
      Took me a week of on and off effort to realize that the real instructions
      were in the fine print. Despite that, I did manage to get them both
      installed.

      Now I'm having all sorts of trouble installing a Windows application.
      I've tried twice, using the applications setup.exe file. It goes through
      all of the proper setup stages, asking for this and that plus the serial
      number. When it's done, there isn't a single item loaded on the hard drive
      and the icon in the program list diappears when you click on it.

      Reading the instructions in the Wine user guide, page 8 has what seems
      to three or four different methods for installing Windows applications, and
      those instructions are just a bit cryptic. After two tries, I know that the
      first one of just using the setup.exe file does not work.

      So, how do you install a Windows application on a machine with LinuxMint
      and Wine installed when the application has a setup.exe file?

      Chris
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
        On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 03:46:38PM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

        > Now I'm having all sorts of trouble installing a Windows application.
        > I've tried twice, using the applications setup.exe file. It goes through
        > all of the proper setup stages, asking for this and that plus the serial
        > number. When it's done, there isn't a single item loaded on the hard drive
        > and the icon in the program list diappears when you click on it.
        >

        > So, how do you install a Windows application on a machine with LinuxMint
        > and Wine installed when the application has a setup.exe file?

        I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
        on the specific applications that I've tried.

        I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
        some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
        $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever

        It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
        their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
        how well they work or don't work.

        Spike: I did a couple of slayers in my time. I don't like to
        brag. Who am I kidding? I love to brag. One time, during the
        Boxer Rebellion...
      • Chris Trask
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013

          > > Now I'm having all sorts of trouble installing a Windows
          application.
          > > I've tried twice, using the applications setup.exe file. It goes
          through
          > > all of the proper setup stages, asking for this and that plus the serial
          > > number. When it's done, there isn't a single item loaded on the hard
          drive
          > > and the icon in the program list diappears when you click on it.
          > >

          > > So, how do you install a Windows application on a machine with
          LinuxMint
          > > and Wine installed when the application has a setup.exe file?
          >
          > I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
          > on the specific applications that I've tried.
          >
          > I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
          > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
          > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever

          I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.

          > It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
          > their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
          > how well they work or don't work.

          Okay, I'll try that method next. I didn't see my Windows application(s)
          on that list.

          Chris
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
            On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 06:00:17PM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

            > > > It goes
            > through
            > > > all of the proper setup stages, asking for this and that plus the serial
            > > > number. When it's done, there isn't a single item loaded on the hard
            > drive
            > > > and the icon in the program list diappears when you click on it.
            > > >

            > > > So, how do you install a Windows application on a machine with
            > LinuxMint
            > > > and Wine installed when the application has a setup.exe file?
            > >

            > > I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
            > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
            > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
            > >

            > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.

            That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
            the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
            directory name, that means it is a hidden file.

            Willow: I just talked to Buffy, and yeah, I think she's feeling a
            little... insane. No, not bitchy crazy, more like homicidal
            maniac crazy. So I told her to come see you, 'kay?
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
              --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott wrote:

              > I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
              > on the specific applications that I've tried.
              >
              > I just run wine file. It will then almost always give
              > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
              > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
              >
              > It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
              > their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
              > how well they work or don't work.
              >

              > --
              > Scott Robbins

              I had to run a file viewer in Wine once and I found an application called winetricks was helpful in getting it to work for me.

              http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

              It didn't make me feel any less dirty though.
            • chi_joan_pc
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2013
                --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:

                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
                > > on the specific applications that I've tried.
                > >
                > > I just run wine file. It will then almost always give
                > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
                > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
                > >
                > > It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
                > > their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
                > > how well they work or don't work.
                > > --
                > > Scott Robbins
                >

                > I had to run a file viewer in Wine once and I found an application called winetricks was helpful in getting it to work for me.
                >
                > http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
                >
                > It didn't make me feel any less dirty though.

                With Mint and a few other Distros, I found PlayOnLinux good for testing those games that wouldn't play on WinXP to run okay. I got CrossOver for free, but haven't tried it yet. I fix other people's Windows computers that I hardly turn on my WinXP or Win7 computers much these days.

                However, I do need to find out if all my old Pinball games work on Wine, etc. Did anyone ever buy the old BigBlue Disks in the DOS and early Window's days? I remember a sort of stick animated thing to watch and wish it was one of the Xscreensavers. I'll have to dig those out of the closet and do a Google search one of these days.

                Joan in Reno
              • Chris Trask
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013

                  > > > I just run wine <path-to-setup.exe>file. It will then almost always give
                  > > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
                  > > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
                  > > >

                  > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
                  >
                  > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
                  > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
                  > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.

                  !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

                  Chris
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 10, 2013
                    On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

                    > > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
                    > >
                    > > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
                    > > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
                    > > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.
                    > >

                    > !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

                    In wine, at least on a 64 bit system, I have $HOME (referring to my home
                    directory, for example, if your user name is chris, it would be
                    /home/chris, or, depending upon distribution, /usr/home/chris--the home
                    directory is also frequently referred to with a tilde, such as ~ to
                    represent /home/chris), so at any rate, you should have

                    ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

                    and, on a 64 bit system

                    ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)

                    So, it may be in there. If it is, you may be able to run it with

                    wine <path_to_application>

                    Note that with spaces in a name, it's easier to use tab completion--that
                    is, type wine ~/.wine/driv (and hit the tab key, to let completion fill in
                    the drive_c)/Prog (hit the tab key to let it fill in the backslash to
                    escape the face in the file name, so it will look like

                    wine ./wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

                    and so on.

                    Xander: I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there,
                    we'll find, you'll slay, we'll party.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013
                      good morning
                      thank You for email.