install x on centos 5

  • Pierre
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi!

      I am trying to install x-windows on a machine that run on centos 5

      I did a group install of gnome with this command:

      yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

      Everything seemed to go smootly I did not had any error reported at the end of the process.

      I even did a reboot of the machine

      but when I try to start X thats what I have:

      # startx
      hostname: Unknown host
      xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2301
      xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

      Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
      that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
      for your display. Possible server names include:

      Xorg X.Org displays

      xinit: Server error.
      #

      What am I doing wrong..

      X is supposed to install itself with the gnome group..??

      All I do is under the root user
      I know I should not, will switch to a user when things will run smooth
    • ve2pf
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
        Its Ok got it to work, x windows is not installed with gnome..

        installed X and all is well now..

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
          On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 06:05:20PM -0000, Pierre wrote:
          > Hi!

          > I am trying to install x-windows on a machine that run on centos 5
          >
          > I did a group install of gnome with this command:
          >
          > yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
          >
          > What am I doing wrong..
          >
          > X is supposed to install itself with the gnome group..??

          Probably not. RH is weird with dependencies.

          You can find out with

          yum provides */X

          And you'll find that the X package is provided by xorg-x11-server-Xorg

          So,

          yum -y install xorg-x11-server-Xorg and you will have X.

          Cordelia: You can't see everything. You're just a vampire
          like everyone else. . . that didn't come out right.