Re: Can't upload via ftp

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2001
      Well, I was the one who installed Linux on the machine. I'm the only
      one who is ftp'ing in my office to the machine. They're is no
      sensitive data there yet. Just the default files that came with
      apache. Only me and one other person in the office. ( We are behind
      an IP and people from the outside can't get in that I know of) Only
      one other guy in the office (The main network admin) know about it
      and was given permission by me to access the Linux computer. However
      he's more interested in installing Darwin on his iMac.

      Patrick

      P.S. I'll chown like you said. I hope to come back with a good
      report.

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
      > Patrick,
      >
      > what most likely happened is that when that /var/www directory was
      > created, it was created by a user other than your ftp user. If you
      go in
      > as root and type chown ftpuser.ftpuser /var/www you should then be
      able
      > to upload files into that directory.
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2001
        You any relation to Walter Koenig (Cehkov)of Star Trek fame?

        Patrick

        --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
        > Patrick,
        >
        > what most likely happened is that when that /var/www directory was
        > created, it was created by a user other than your ftp user. If you
        go in
        > as root and type chown ftpuser.ftpuser /var/www you should then be
        able
      • Joseph Koenig
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2001
          I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet I
          have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user - then
          there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for very
          specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you created
          the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
          from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know it's
          you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you can't add
          files to that directory.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2001
            Thanks it worked. I'm still learning Linux in my spare time. I
            fixed it so that only I could upload via my user name. What I did was

            root> chown -R patrick /var/www .

            I still need to learn the groups so the other guy can log in but like
            I said I'm doing this in my free time. I need to explain my
            situation a little bit. I work in the administrative offices of a
            Christian denomination and they have done things the "low tech" way
            for so long. The "network admin" is a big Mac user and promoter and
            the Windows users have been left in the dark as far direct access to
            the database the other Mac users can use. I recently upgraded my
            Windows 98 3 gig hd, 32 meg RAM and 233 processor to a Windows 2000
            Machine, 40 gig drive, 128 RAM and 933 Pentium III. I converted the
            old computer to a server running Linux Mandrake 8.0. My long term
            goal is to create a top notch Intranet site with access to a MySQL
            database of contact information, church statistics (over many years)
            and calander stuff for the staff. Maybe pictures and stuff as well.

            Patrick

            --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
            > I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet
            > have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user -
            then
            > there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for
            very
            > specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you
            created
            > the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
            > from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know
            it's
            > you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you
            can't add
            > files to that directory.
            >
            > Joe
          • Joseph Koenig
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2001
              Hey Patrick - There's nothing wrong with Mac's :) I'm writing this on a
              dual 500 G4 and I've got a dual 533 G4 at home. Are you familiar with
              PHP? For what you're talking about wanting to do, I'd highly recommend
              it. It installs nicely with support to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and
              other DB's. I've got a little 233MHz linux machine at home with 128MB
              RAM that runs Apache + PHP 4 + MySQL + PostgreSQL and it flies. Anyway,
              let me (us) know if you need anything else. Hopefully I (we) can help.

              Joe

              PS - No, I'm not related to the walter koenig.

              Patrick wrote:

              > Thanks it worked. I'm still learning Linux in my spare time. I
              > fixed it so that only I could upload via my user name. What I did was
              >
              > root> chown -R patrick /var/www .
              >
              > I still need to learn the groups so the other guy can log in but like
              > I said I'm doing this in my free time. I need to explain my
              > situation a little bit. I work in the administrative offices of a
              > Christian denomination and they have done things the "low tech" way
              > for so long. The "network admin" is a big Mac user and promoter and
              > the Windows users have been left in the dark as far direct access to
              > the database the other Mac users can use. I recently upgraded my
              > Windows 98 3 gig hd, 32 meg RAM and 233 processor to a Windows 2000
              > Machine, 40 gig drive, 128 RAM and 933 Pentium III. I converted the
              > old computer to a server running Linux Mandrake 8.0. My long term
              > goal is to create a top notch Intranet site with access to a MySQL
              > database of contact information, church statistics (over many years)
              > and calander stuff for the staff. Maybe pictures and stuff as well.
              >
              > Patrick
              >
              > --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
              > > I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet
              > > have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user -
              > then
              > > there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for
              > very
              > > specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you
              > created
              > > the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
              > > from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know
              > it's
              > > you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you
              > can't add
              > > files to that directory.
              > >
              > > Joe

            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2001
                I'm not against Macs at all! In fact for my next home PC I'm
                considering one since OSX has a unix core and the mac interface. As
                a hobby I enjoy computer graphics. Yes, I forgot to mention I plan
                on using php with the mysql. I have it installed on the machine as
                well as mysql and postgresql. Windows XP was looking pretty
                interesting until they brought out this stuff with registration
                policies, etc. BTW I'm glad Apple has ditched the toilet lid/make up
                case style of iBooks. The new iBooks looks like an inexpensive
                version of the Titinium Powerbooks. Made out of plastic instead of
                Titanium. The only problem we has with Apples at work was they were
                invisable to the Windows machines on the Network. The network admin
                has a contact database others access on a version of Foxpro but he is
                looking into converting to SQL and and running an Intranet server as
                well. He just downloaded Darwin (The core command line part of OSX)
                and is gettting familiar with it as he plans on upgrading to OSX and
                serving pages as well. Funny, he didn't start doing it till I set up
                my Linux box! ; ) Hehe I hope I can get up a database before him and
                tell everyone. Competition is good!

                Patrick

                P.S. I'm not bad-mouthing him. We help each other out a lot filling
                in each others tech knowledge holes. He's been in computer longer
                than me but I'm more knowledgeable in Windows, graphic design and web
                design. He is more famliar with Macs, old mainframes and networking.

                --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
                > Hey Patrick - There's nothing wrong with Mac's :) I'm writing this
                on a
                > dual 500 G4 and I've got a dual 533 G4 at home. Are you familiar
                with
                > PHP? For what you're talking about wanting to do, I'd highly
                recommend
                > it. It installs nicely with support to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and
                > other DB's. I've got a little 233MHz linux machine at home with
                128MB
                > RAM that runs Apache + PHP 4 + MySQL + PostgreSQL and it flies.
                Anyway,
                > let me (us) know if you need anything else. Hopefully I (we) can
                help.

                > Joe
              • Joseph Koenig
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2001
                  In respect to the Macs being invisible to the PC's at work -- Check out
                  a little application called PC-MacLan. If you install it on the window's
                  boxes, all of the sudden there will be the little Macs and it'll be a
                  happy day :) We have a PC in the office that we use it on (most of our
                  machines are macs). We have all iMacs and G4's, so we don't have floppy
                  drives. The PC has become our floppy drive for the macs. Pop it in
                  there, open the floppy and drop files directly to our macs. PC-MacLan is
                  good :)

                  Joe