Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Can't upload via ftp

  • Joseph Koenig
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 7:11 AM
      Patrick,

      what most likely happened is that when that /var/www directory was
      created, it was created by a user other than your ftp user. If you go in
      as root and type chown ftpuser.ftpuser /var/www you should then be able
      to upload files into that directory. Since the directory was created by
      another user (I'm making assumptions here), your ftp user has no
      priveleges on it. By changing the ownership to your ftp user, you'll be
      able to upload. Now, if there's any sensitive data in that directory,
      I'd be real careful about it. Only change the ownership on that dir and
      any others in it that you need. You don't want someone to get into your
      ftp directory and be able to delete any important information. Hope this helps,

      Joe
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3 7:14 AM
        Well, I was the one who installed Linux on the machine. I'm the only
        one who is ftp'ing in my office to the machine. They're is no
        sensitive data there yet. Just the default files that came with
        apache. Only me and one other person in the office. ( We are behind
        an IP and people from the outside can't get in that I know of) Only
        one other guy in the office (The main network admin) know about it
        and was given permission by me to access the Linux computer. However
        he's more interested in installing Darwin on his iMac.

        Patrick

        P.S. I'll chown like you said. I hope to come back with a good
        report.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3 7:15 AM
          You any relation to Walter Koenig (Cehkov)of Star Trek fame?

          Patrick

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 7:49 AM
            I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet I
            have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user - then
            there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for very
            specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you created
            the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
            from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know it's
            you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you can't add
            files to that directory.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3 8:10 AM
              Thanks it worked. I'm still learning Linux in my spare time. I
              fixed it so that only I could upload via my user name. What I did was

              root> chown -R patrick /var/www .

              I still need to learn the groups so the other guy can log in but like
              I said I'm doing this in my free time. I need to explain my
              situation a little bit. I work in the administrative offices of a
              Christian denomination and they have done things the "low tech" way
              for so long. The "network admin" is a big Mac user and promoter and
              the Windows users have been left in the dark as far direct access to
              the database the other Mac users can use. I recently upgraded my
              Windows 98 3 gig hd, 32 meg RAM and 233 processor to a Windows 2000
              Machine, 40 gig drive, 128 RAM and 933 Pentium III. I converted the
              old computer to a server running Linux Mandrake 8.0. My long term
              goal is to create a top notch Intranet site with access to a MySQL
              database of contact information, church statistics (over many years)
              and calander stuff for the staff. Maybe pictures and stuff as well.

              Patrick

              --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
              > I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet
              > have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user -
              then
              > there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for
              very
              > specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you
              created
              > the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
              > from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know
              it's
              > you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you
              can't add
              > files to that directory.
              >
              > Joe
            • Joseph Koenig
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3 8:32 AM
                Hey Patrick - There's nothing wrong with Mac's :) I'm writing this on a
                dual 500 G4 and I've got a dual 533 G4 at home. Are you familiar with
                PHP? For what you're talking about wanting to do, I'd highly recommend
                it. It installs nicely with support to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and
                other DB's. I've got a little 233MHz linux machine at home with 128MB
                RAM that runs Apache + PHP 4 + MySQL + PostgreSQL and it flies. Anyway,
                let me (us) know if you need anything else. Hopefully I (we) can help.

                Joe

                PS - No, I'm not related to the walter koenig.

                Patrick wrote:

                > Thanks it worked. I'm still learning Linux in my spare time. I
                > fixed it so that only I could upload via my user name. What I did was
                >
                > root> chown -R patrick /var/www .
                >
                > I still need to learn the groups so the other guy can log in but like
                > I said I'm doing this in my free time. I need to explain my
                > situation a little bit. I work in the administrative offices of a
                > Christian denomination and they have done things the "low tech" way
                > for so long. The "network admin" is a big Mac user and promoter and
                > the Windows users have been left in the dark as far direct access to
                > the database the other Mac users can use. I recently upgraded my
                > Windows 98 3 gig hd, 32 meg RAM and 233 processor to a Windows 2000
                > Machine, 40 gig drive, 128 RAM and 933 Pentium III. I converted the
                > old computer to a server running Linux Mandrake 8.0. My long term
                > goal is to create a top notch Intranet site with access to a MySQL
                > database of contact information, church statistics (over many years)
                > and calander stuff for the staff. Maybe pictures and stuff as well.
                >
                > Patrick
                >
                > --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
                > > I'm the only person who has access to my Linux box at my house, yet
                > > have multiple users set up: root, a superuser, and my ftp user -
                > then
                > > there's other things like postgres and what not that are only for
                > very
                > > specific uses. However, if you were logged in as root when you
                > created
                > > the file, when you log in as the ftp user (which is hope is seperate
                > > from your root and superuser accounts) the computer doesn't know
                > it's
                > > you. It thinks you're a different person, therefore saying you
                > can't add
                > > files to that directory.
                > >
                > > Joe

              • Patrick
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3 8:50 AM
                  I'm not against Macs at all! In fact for my next home PC I'm
                  considering one since OSX has a unix core and the mac interface. As
                  a hobby I enjoy computer graphics. Yes, I forgot to mention I plan
                  on using php with the mysql. I have it installed on the machine as
                  well as mysql and postgresql. Windows XP was looking pretty
                  interesting until they brought out this stuff with registration
                  policies, etc. BTW I'm glad Apple has ditched the toilet lid/make up
                  case style of iBooks. The new iBooks looks like an inexpensive
                  version of the Titinium Powerbooks. Made out of plastic instead of
                  Titanium. The only problem we has with Apples at work was they were
                  invisable to the Windows machines on the Network. The network admin
                  has a contact database others access on a version of Foxpro but he is
                  looking into converting to SQL and and running an Intranet server as
                  well. He just downloaded Darwin (The core command line part of OSX)
                  and is gettting familiar with it as he plans on upgrading to OSX and
                  serving pages as well. Funny, he didn't start doing it till I set up
                  my Linux box! ; ) Hehe I hope I can get up a database before him and
                  tell everyone. Competition is good!

                  Patrick

                  P.S. I'm not bad-mouthing him. We help each other out a lot filling
                  in each others tech knowledge holes. He's been in computer longer
                  than me but I'm more knowledgeable in Windows, graphic design and web
                  design. He is more famliar with Macs, old mainframes and networking.

                  --- In LINUX_Newbies@y..., Joseph Koenig <joe@j...> wrote:
                  > Hey Patrick - There's nothing wrong with Mac's :) I'm writing this
                  on a
                  > dual 500 G4 and I've got a dual 533 G4 at home. Are you familiar
                  with
                  > PHP? For what you're talking about wanting to do, I'd highly
                  recommend
                  > it. It installs nicely with support to MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and
                  > other DB's. I've got a little 233MHz linux machine at home with
                  128MB
                  > RAM that runs Apache + PHP 4 + MySQL + PostgreSQL and it flies.
                  Anyway,
                  > let me (us) know if you need anything else. Hopefully I (we) can
                  help.

                  > Joe
                • Joseph Koenig
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3 9:19 AM
                    In respect to the Macs being invisible to the PC's at work -- Check out
                    a little application called PC-MacLan. If you install it on the window's
                    boxes, all of the sudden there will be the little Macs and it'll be a
                    happy day :) We have a PC in the office that we use it on (most of our
                    machines are macs). We have all iMacs and G4's, so we don't have floppy
                    drives. The PC has become our floppy drive for the macs. Pop it in
                    there, open the floppy and drop files directly to our macs. PC-MacLan is
                    good :)

                    Joe