Problem 2:Install Remove Software

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
      Mi Jan 09 15:53:14 2013
      Good afternoon:
      Thank You for help.
      Problem 2:Install Remove Software

      How can I remove software using the OS Linux.
      Example:
      From January 2012 until August
      I uses Live CD.
      Every day I installed Evolution.
      And every evening I did a backup.
      OK.
      Now I am using installed Linux.
      I did install Evolution and loaded up the backup.
      This destroyed Evolution.
      Now I tried to remove Evolution also with purge.
      But it was not possible for me newbie.
      I think it is the same problem like windows: I have to clean the hd from
      Evolution.
      Is this right?

      Install
      http://freecode.com/
      How to install a Linuxsoftware?
      Until now I open the Softwarecenter from Xubuntu and then I start in a
      terminal:
      sudo apt-get install gimp.

      Where ist Linux searching?
      On hd or in the www?
      How can I install software not saved on the Live CD?
      For example:
      Pascal compiler.
      And what kind of compiler: GNU Lazarus Freepascal?

      Regards
      Sophie
    • Hugo Azevedo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
        ----------------
        How can I remove software using the OS Linux. Now I tried to remove Evolution also with purge. But it was not possible for me newbie. I think it is the same problem like windows: I have to clean the hd from Evolution. Is this right?
        ----------------
        R = No, it's not right. Depending to your Distro, you can use many ways to remove a software.

        To remove in Debian/Ubuntu:
        * apt-get remove package              (remove a package)
        * apt-get remove --purge package (remove a package and configuration files)
        * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove package  (remove a package, configuration files and dependencies)  To remove in RedHat/Fedora:  * yum remove package or yum erase package    (remove a package and configuration files)
        * yum remove --remove-leaves                            (remove a package, configuration files and dependencies)

         ----------------
        How to install a Linuxsoftware? Until now I open the Softwarecenter from Xubuntu and then I start in a terminal: sudo apt-get install gimp. Where ist Linux searching? On hd or in the www?
        ----------------
        R = On HD. On terminal enter:
        * gimp      (you can use TAB to complete the command. You need the grafic environment to execute the gimp)
        * or  on an grafic environment, click on the menus that appears on the screen and search for the icon gimp

        ----------------
        How can I install software not saved on the Live CD?
        ----------------
        R = Yes, you can install software not saved on the Live CD, in the same way that I showed above.

        ----------------
        For example: Pascal compiler. And what kind of compiler: GNU Lazarus Freepascal?
        ----------------
        R = To search and display/show (caracteristics) a specific package to do it:

        To search in Debian/Ubuntu:
        * apt-cache search expression  (for example: "apt-cache search pascal". Many generic)
        * apt-cache search expression | grep -i expression   (for example: "apt-cache search pascal | grep -i pascal". More cool and specific)  To search in RedHat/Fedora:
        * yum search expression     (for example: yum search pascal)
        * yum list package
        To show package caracterists in Debian/Ubuntu:
        * apt-cache show package  To show package caracterists in RedHat/Fedora:
        * yum info package

        I hope I helped you,
        Hugo Azevedo
            Certificado / Certified: LPI-1, ITIL, NCLA e NDCTS
           www.hugoazevedo.eti.br
           GPG keyID: F65F2F21
            GPG FingerPrint: 33F5 7A83 C604 1574 DC10  CF8B 39B3 4E17 F65F 2F21
            gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys F65F2F21

         "Na caixa dizia: Requer Micro$oft Windows ou superior, então eu instalei o GNU/Linux!"
         "On the box said: Requires Micro$oft Windows or better, so I installed the GNU/Linux!"

        EVANGELHO - A- A+ — O Senhor esteja convosco.  — Ele está no meio de nós. — PROCLAMAÇÃO do Evangelho de Jesus Cristo + segundo Mateus. — Glória a vós, Senhor! Naquele tempo, disse Jesus aos seus discípulos: 7“Pedi e vos será dado! Procurai e achareis! Batei e a porta vos será aberta! 8Pois todo aquele que pede recebe; quem procura encontra; e a quem bate a porta será aberta. 9Quem de vós dá ao filho uma pedra, quando ele pede um pão? 10Ou lhe dá uma cobra, quando ele pede um peixe? 11Ora, se vós, que sois maus, sabeis dar coisas boas a vossos filhos, quanto mais vosso Pai que está nos céus dará coisas boas aos que lhe pedirem! 12Tudo quanto quereis que os outros vos façam, fazei também a eles. Nisto consiste a Lei e os Profetas”. - Palavra da Salvação. - Glória a vós, Senhor.

        ________________________________
        De: "highskywhy@..." <highskywhy@...>
        Para: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
        Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 9 de Janeiro de 2013 13:12
        Assunto: [LINUX_Newbies] Problem 2:Install Remove Software

        Mi Jan 09 15:53:14 2013
        Good afternoon:
        Thank You
        for help.
        Problem 2:Install Remove Software

        How can I remove software using the OS Linux.
        Example:
        From January 2012 until August
[...]

      • Roy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
          If you are having trouble with the commandline then you might want to try a
          graphical package manager. Evolution is integrated into some desktops and
          you may want to preserve some parts just to keep others from breaking.
          Synaptic will alert you to this.

          Roy
          Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
          Location: Canada

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
            Fr Jan 11 17:22:20 2013
            Good evening
            Thank You for help.
            Problem 2:Install Remove Software

            ----------------
            How can I remove software using the OS Linux. Now I tried to remove
            Evolution also with purge. But it was not possible for me newbie. I
            think it is the same problem like windows: I have to clean the hd from
            Evolution. Is this right?
            ----------------
            R = No, it's not right. Depending to your Distro, you can use many ways
            to remove a software.
            *
            Thank You

            To remove in Debian/Ubuntu:
            * apt-get remove package (remove a package)
            *
            This was not ok.
            * apt-get remove --purge package (remove a package and configuration files)
            *
            This was not ok.
            * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove package (remove a package,
            configuration files and dependencies) To remove in RedHat/Fedora: *
            yum remove package or yum erase package (remove a package and
            configuration files)
            *
            Maybe this is ok:apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove evolution
            Why:
            After
            apt-get remove --purge evolution
            there were and there are a lot of directories filled with evolution files:

            usr/lib
            ussr/share
            usr/share/gnome/help
            usr/share/gnome/help-langpack
            .config
            .gconf
            .local/share/evolution
            (maybe more)

            ----------------
            How to install a Linuxsoftware? Until now I open the Softwarecenter from
            Xubuntu and then I start in a terminal: sudo apt-get install gimp. Where
            ist Linux searching? On hd or in the www?
            ----------------
            R = On HD. On terminal enter:
            * gimp (you can use TAB to complete the command. You need the
            grafic environment to execute the gimp)
            * or on an grafic environment, click on the menus that appears on the
            screen and search for the icon gimp
            *
            If there is a gimp on the live-cd I did sudo apt-get install gimp
            and very often it is ok.
            Sometimes the answer was: I miss files.

            ----------------
            How can I install software not saved on the Live CD?
            ----------------
            R = Yes, you can install software not saved on the Live CD, in the same
            way that I showed above.
            *
            Example:
            Can I try.
            sudo apt-get freepascal
            and then Linux is running through the www and bring me the freepascal?

            Questions:
            How many programs I can install with a Linuxsystem?
            (for not block the os)

            ----------------
            For example: Pascal compiler. And what kind of compiler: GNU Lazarus
            Freepascal?
            ----------------
            R = To search and display/show (caracteristics) a specific package to do
            it:

            To search in Debian/Ubuntu:
            * apt-cache search expression (for example: "apt-cache search pascal".
            Many generic)
            * apt-cache search expression | grep -i expression (for example:
            "apt-cache search pascal | grep -i pascal". More cool and specific) To
            search in RedHat/Fedora:
            * yum search expression (for example: yum search pascal)
            * yum list package
            To show package caracterists in Debian/Ubuntu:
            * apt-cache show package To show package caracterists in RedHat/Fedora:
            * yum info package
            *
            Sorry, this was the right question.
            How can I find the best "pascal-compiler"?
            I was reading newspapers and forums to find out. OH gimp blender
            inkscape are the best graphik software for me.
            Because when I open softwarecenter, there are a lot of software for draw
            pictures.
            Same I was trying and looking aroung to see claws is the best email
            programf for me.

            I hope I helped you,
            *
            Yes
            thank You-
            Hugo Azevedo
            *
            Regards
            Sophie
          • Hugo Azevedo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
              * apt-get remove package
              * apt-get remove --purge package

              * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove package
              --------------
              This was not ok.
              --------------

              Sophie, in the above commands replace the word "package" by the name of the package you want. For example, to remove the command called "less" do:
              * apt-get remove less
              * apt-get remove --purge less
              * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove less
               In your case, the package is the "evolution".

              ---------------
              apt-get remove --purge evolution
              there were and there are a lot of directories filled with evolution files:
              ---------------
              Yes, because the "evolution" is a graphic software and requires many files, libs and integration with the desktop environment to work. You could do this (thus avoiding remove many files):
              apt-get remove evolution

              ----------------
              Example:
              Can I try.
              sudo apt-get freepascal
              and then Linux is running through the www and bring me the freepascal?
              -----------------
              Use this "apt-get install freepascal" or this "apt-get install fpc"
              There is another pascal compiler called "gpc" (GNU project) - Very good, by the way. Do it:
              "apt-get install gpc"

              ---------------
              Questions:
              How many programs I can install with a Linuxsystem?
              (for not block the os)
              ---------------
              The Linux (as a Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, ...) has no such limitation. In this case, the limitation is the hardware employed (eg: HD, Memory, ...).

              -------------------
              How can I find the best "pascal-compiler"?
              ------------------
              First, check the pascal compiler that exist on your Linux. The comand for this is:
              apt-cache search pascal     (many compilers will appear as "fpc", "gpc",...)

              For show information package, do this:
              apt-cache show fpc ou apt-cache show gpc

              The best pascal compiler depend on what you need or want. I used the "gpc", because the "gpc" is done by the GNU Project (philosophical questions).

              Regards,

              De: "highskywhy@..." <highskywhy@...>
              Para: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
              Cc: Hugo Azevedo <hugo_azevedo_df@...>
              Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 11 de Janeiro de 2013 14:33

              Fr Jan 11 17:22:20 2013
              Good evening
              Thank You for help.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
                Di Jan 15 11:14:41 2013
                Good morning
                Problem 2:Install Remove Software
                Thank You for help.

                If you are having trouble with the commandline then you might want to try a
                graphical package manager. Evolution is integrated into some desktops and
                you may want to preserve some parts just to keep others from breaking.
                Synaptic will alert you to this.
                *
                What is a graphical package manager?
                The Synaptic in Xubuntu?
                Shall I search "evolution" and then delete all terms?

                Regards
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 15, 2013
                  Di Jan 15 11:14:41 2013
                  Good morning
                  Problem 2:Install Remove Software
                  Thank You for help.

                  * apt-get remove package
                  * apt-get remove --purge package

                  * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove package
                  --------------
                  This was not ok.
                  --------------
                  *

                  Sophie, in the above commands replace the word "package" by the name of
                  the package you want. For example, to remove the command called "less" do:
                  * apt-get remove less
                  * apt-get remove --purge less
                  * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove less
                  In your case, the package is the "evolution".
                  *
                  Is it:
                  * apt-get remove evolution
                  * apt-get remove --purge evolution

                  * apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove evolution

                  And the last line is cleaning the whole hd from evolution, isnt it?

                  ---------------
                  apt-get remove --purge evolution
                  there were and there are a lot of directories filled with evolution files:
                  ---------------
                  Yes, because the "evolution" is a graphic software and requires many
                  files, libs and integration with the desktop environment to work. You
                  could do this (thus avoiding remove many files):
                  apt-get remove evolution
                  *
                  I did "apt-get remove evolution" and after this remove, there are a lot
                  of "evolution" files.
                  Is it simlar to win? If You delete software in a win-system, afterwords
                  You have a lot to clean for example the registry.

                  ----------------
                  Example:
                  Can I try.
                  sudo apt-get freepascal
                  and then Linux is running through the www and bring me the freepascal?
                  -----------------
                  Use this "apt-get install freepascal" or this "apt-get install fpc"
                  There is another pascal compiler called "gpc" (GNU project) - Very good,
                  by the way. Do it:
                  "apt-get install gpc"
                  *
                  What pascal-compiler is the best?
                  Lazarus
                  Freepascal
                  GNU
                  ?
                  Lararus is a GUI, but is Lazarus also a compiler?

                  ---------------
                  Questions:
                  How many programs I can install with a Linuxsystem?
                  (for not block the os)
                  ---------------
                  The Linux (as a Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, ...) has no such
                  limitation. In this case, the limitation is the hardware employed (eg:
                  HD, Memory, ...).
                  *
                  I can see the hd. If there a 20 gb space, then there is no problem?
                  How can software or to many software-programes block the memory?

                  -------------------
                  How can I find the best "pascal-compiler"?
                  ------------------
                  First, check the pascal compiler that exist on your Linux. The comand
                  for this is:
                  apt-cache search pascal (many compilers will appear as "fpc", "gpc",...)

                  For show information package, do this:
                  apt-cache show fpc ou apt-cache show gpc

                  The best pascal compiler depend on what you need or want. I used the
                  "gpc", because the "gpc" is done by the GNU Project (philosophical
                  questions).
                  *
                  I want to write programs like this
                  programm a; var a:inter; begin read(a); write (a); end.
                  Text and very simple. So I think, Freepascal or GNU are better then
                  Lazarus,isnt it?

                  Regards
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2013
                    good morning
                    this is an old question:

                    Can I clean the old Evolution with sweeper?

                    regards
                    Sophie