Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 27, 2012
      Do Dez 27 18:06:28 2012
      Good evening.
      Thank You for help.

      > The sources list edit is a editing a text file, but you will need to use
      > sudo to open the editor. That is complicated for a newbie.
      > Roy
      > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
      > Location: Canada
      Should I open
      Sudo
      passwort
      mc
      and there the editor?

      The syntax of /etc/apt/sources.list is simple enough. I feel it is
      certainly worthwhile to master. I would be missing critical system
      components if it was not for adding repository locations to my file.
      *
      Is it dangerous to open system files?
      *
      I can't stand terminal editors so I grant the root user access to my X
      session so I can use a sane GUI editor with this command:

      pfred1@buck:~$ xhost +local:root
      *
      OK

      I have synaptic installed, but I never use it. I mean I have, but it
      generally doesn't appeal to me.
      *
      Is it dangerous to use Synaptic?
      Or is it just more easy for a beginner?

      I like aptitude though, and use it often, for whatever that is worth.
      In fact I just used aptitude to check the status of synaptic on this
      system. I haven't used synaptic on this PC in so long I couldn't
      remember if I had it installed, or not. Admittedly I am not too crazy
      about aptitude's ncurses interface, but just to do a show, a search, or
      install, I use aptitude all of the time.
      *
      Thank You.

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.