Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 25, 2012
      The sources list edit is a editing a text file, but you will need to use
      sudo to open the editor. That is complicated for a newbie. The easier
      method is to use Synaptic. You may have to install it if it is not
      installed. Then open Synaptic. It will ask for the password. This is
      basically the same as using sudo above, but you do not have to navigate to
      the sources file or use a text editor.

      In Synaptic go to Settings, Repositories in the menu. There click on the
      Updates tab. Then at the bottom change it from long term support versions
      to For any new version. You can do the same thing from other application
      that accesses the software sources, such as Update Manager, Settings or
      Muon Updater. Or you can install a utility like Ubuntu Tweak. There are
      many GUI ways to do what can be done from the commandline. It is up to you
      to choose the way that works best for you.

      Roy
      Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
      Location: Canada

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.