Re: NEWBIE with first question

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 24, 2012
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:

      > Is this a new feature in 12.04? I stopped recommending and installing
      > ubuntu for people because it was all but begging to upgrade from 10.04. It
      > simply blew my mind, and not in a good way.

      There has to be a way to turn update notifications off. I have two systems here that still run Debian Lenny and I never get any update notifications with them.

      This PC that I am on now will go to it's grave with the install it is running now. I'll never upgrade it. I don't think from here on in I'm even going to update it anymore. Everything works fine as far as I'm concerned. No change would be for the better.
      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 10, 2013
        Do Okt 10 14:18:36 2013
        Good afternoon!
        Thank You for email and help.

        Well if Xubuntu works anything like Debian you have to edit the file:

        /etc/apt/sources.list
        *
        Is this the most easy way?

        Find all of the instances of the old version you want to switch from and
        change them to the new version you want to switch to, and save that.
        Then do an aptitude update and after that aptitude full-upgrade

        I don't use apt-get myself as it is depreciated in favor of aptitude
        today in Debian. Apt-get still kind of works, but it is just old junk today.

        Although there sometimes are other steps you need to take first. It
        depends what you're upgrading from. Sometimes there are specific
        packages you have to upgrade first, before you upgrade the whole system.
        So you are best off following specific instructions that pertain to the
        distribution, and version you are currently running.

        Unfortunately with Xubuntu the upgrade page is a 404

        http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/

        http://i.imgur.com/YygQP3b.png

        So that is kind of junky.

        You are upgrading BTW, not updating. It is a bit different.
        *
        Thank You for help.